Sinister: with a star upon your shoulder

KevShindig at xxx.com KevShindig at xxx.com
Wed May 8 08:39:35 BST 2002

      I know you've heard it all; the set lists for Boston and New York have
been posted and dissected (I know it would be gauche to make a list of my ten
favorite Belle and Sebastian songs, but if I were to do such a thing I could
happily comment afterwards that at least half of them were played live this
weekend), the relative merits of crowd-participation have been bandied about
(maybe at some point the "free bird" request from the audience was something
so very funny and groundbreaking that it completely re-wrote the way band and
spectators interact and has become such a part of the public idiom that it's
taken for granted, because that's the only way I can fathom it being shouted
at every show I've been to for the past fifteen years, but I kind of doubt
it), and the politics of dancing (I enjoyed the first five or six songs of
the Boston show less than I should have because I desperately wanted to
dance, but EVERYONE around me was sitting down and I felt self-conscious
about that.  It took a combination of Marisa, who is a star and a half, as
anyone who was at the Monday show in New York can attest to, shouting out her
frustration re: lack of dancing at the Orpheum and the undeniable rhythm of
"The Boy With the Arab Strap" to make me actually, uh, get jiggy with it.  I
had a much better time after that, which helped me justify to myself the
obscene amount of money I paid for tickets.  To anyone who wanted us to sit
down and was grumbling about how we wrecked the show for them I'm really,
really sorry but if I can't dance then I want no part of your revolution.
Also, keep this "Footloose" analogy in mind : People who were dancing = Kevin
Bacon.  People who did not want us to dance = John Lithgow.  End tangent.)

      When I was in high school I once saw a band play four songs in as many
minutes, smash their instruments, and then set the stage on fire, causing the
club to evacuate.  Nothing I've seen since has really topped that, but Belle
and Sebastian managed to come pretty fricking close.  I still get to see them
next week in Atlanta, so maybe they'll be so very amazing there that I can
have a new "best show I've ever seen" story.  I'm starting to get tired of
telling the one above.

     "Tigermilking NYC" was fun - although I mostly went to see my friend
Keith d.j. and I missed most of his set.  Apparently he played a Japanese
electro-cover of "From the Morning" before I got there.  I do sort of wish
the shebang was downstairs at Fez, that seems to have more of a party
atmosphere.  Still, I had a fantastic weekend, and probably my best birthday
ever.  Thanks for indulging my euphoric post-show babble.

Kevin

 P.S. - "Judy and the Dream of Horses", recorder feedback and all, very
nearly made my head explode.