Sinister: Montreal hijinks

Cathy Fan cfan at xxx.ca
Thu May 9 05:40:15 BST 2002

The Montreal show totally kicked my ass. And a big word up to Mick Cooke
being one of the highlights and providing much viewing pleasure to everyone
in our section. We couldn't see about half the stage (but still managed to
see quite a bit, due to the sheer amount of people playing), but were fully
entertained by his many talents.

The Aislers Set were very good- I didn't know much about them, but I noticed
that the keyboard player is from The Fairways. Unfortunately, the sound was
not very good during their set...I think something was wrong with the mic
and the overall mix was very quiet. The sound was corrected for B&S, but
it's too bad that The Aislers Set didn't get their volume cranked to 11 as
well.

Here's the setlist, as I wrote it on a scrap of paper. I'm forgetting a lot
of the talking parts, so I'm hoping that the other Montreal go-ers can fill
in the blanks:

Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie
- I was in the bathroom when this started, and let me tell you: everything
they've said about bathroom acoustics is true. I would've stayed in there if
there was a Jumbotron in the sink area. I don't think they started out with
Fuck This Shit since I didn't hear a harmonica among the crowd-screams, but
I was in the can, so I'm not really sure.

Dirty Dream #2 (no talky bits)
Dunno (Magic of a Kind Word?)
I'm Waking Up To Us
I Love My Car

Stevie Song from Storytelling (Consuelo Leaving?)
- complete with suggestive Genie In A Bottle dance moves from said B&S
member. The string section sounded excellent.

Scooby Driver
Stars of Track and Field
- this one received one of the biggest cheers of the night. Stuart hesitated
at the beginning, which prompted a short conference with Stevie. I think
this was when a girl in the audience shouted "I can sing it!". Ten seconds
later: "I mean it!". Heehee...

The Model
Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
- !!!, with Sarah on vocals; Stevie, Mick, Bobby and Chris

I Could Be Dreaming
The Boy w/ the Arab Strap
- included a Mick-led clapping frenzy. I ran out of clapping-steam about
half way, but the rest of the crowd showed endurance and strength right to
the finish line.

Slow Graffiti
Family Tree
I Know Where the Summer Goes
Dog On Wheels
The Wrong Girl
There's Too Much Love
Put the Book Back on the Shelf
Legal Man
- all sorts of good crazy shit. Great closer, since we did not get an
encore.

Stories included an announcement of the Canadiens win over the Hurricanes
(no comment as I'm from Ottawa), hockey fights, rats following Stuart
around, and a questioning of whether they were considered prog due to
Stuart's double bass/guitar combo. Sadly, no Yes covers were played,
although the Leonard Cohen tune almost made up for it. The band seemed to be
in a good mood: lots of crowd interaction, dancing, smiles, glasses slipping
down noses. It was pretty wild.

For those of you catching them on the rest of the tour: I hate you all!

Have fun,
--Cathy.