Sinister: This Chance I've Missed I Feel Remiss...

Craig Morrison craig at xxx.uk
Fri May 10 16:58:32 BST 2002

Dear All,

A grown man, out of nursery for some six months now, I thought I'd never
post anything here, just being happy reading the daily updates from you
guys.  But the excitement of the US gigs, and what with Ken Chu being over
in Chicago, well, I want to be part of something; I want to feel involved.

Really, I should've got involved sooner.  On the sunny day of the Brixton
show I sat in my office in Portobello thinking about heading along to the
picnic, getting rid of my suit, putting on a 'Fuck Chu' t-shirt and hanging
out with the young hipsters in the park, drinking wine.  Then at the concert
I should've got in amongst it, not stood up the back getting angry with the
jocks.  And the next day I could easily have made it to the fitba in
Kensington but didn't....  So here I am, out of time and out of fashion,
feeling remiss, dreaming of Chicago, New York, Washington...

Less glamorously, this afternoon I've been doing a bit of business with The
Sunday Post.  For those not familiar with the lower end of the newspaper
market in Scotland, The Sunday Post is an institution, selling some 600,000
copies (in a country of less than 6 million).  It's been around forever and
is still family-owned.  The publishing company is also responsible for The
Beano and The Dandy.

The Sunday Post's the only newspaper in the world to have achieved
'saturation circulation' (that's something like where 25% of the population
buy it and therefore 100% read it).  More than all this though, it's the
home of two great comic strips, The Broons and Oor Wullie.  See
www.thatsbraw.co.uk.  Wullie's kind of cool, like a bowlie boy kind of
thing.  (By the way, Scotland still sells more newspapers per capita than
anywhere else.  I've also read that it's the only place in the world where
Coca Cola is NOT the number one selling soft drink.  How wonderful is that
in these days of anti-globalisation protests, a whole nation voting with its
50 pence pieces?  Perhaps that's why Bel's heading back there.)

I'm worried.  Bel's clearly cracking up, flying home like a melancholy
Seymour Stein.  Maybe we should try to help out, perhaps all touch a picture
of her at midday on Monday and think positive thoughts, kind of like The Sun
did for David Beckham's second metatarsal?  She's my screensaver, Bel.  My
girlfriend's not especially keen on her though.

Yours aye, Craig Morrison