Sinister: the sidewinder sleeps on its back

Salako * ann_septimus at xxx.com
Sun May 12 23:21:19 BST 2002

How's the concert circuit?  All you lucky dogs that are making me drool on
my keyboard... it's not fair!  OK, I think I'll live.  Just wanted to get
that out of my system.

Working in a library, one discovers just how much crap the average smalltown
house wife really reads... it's amazing!  Shelf after shelf of romances and
cooking-themed mysteries (I am am completely serious... sample title "Ham
and Eggs: a theatrical murder mystery" and there are worse).  Job for the
day: find all the crap that people do NOT read, and take it off the shelves.
  I keep getting dirty looks from old women who probably think that I am an
escaped mental patient, just trying to ruin their library enjoyment (is
there such a thing?) for the day, as I am doing exactly the opposite of what
I am supposed to.

I love libraries and books - just when I don't have to work there, and have
to deal with other people's messes (can no one put anything back??? stacks
of romances {read by 70 year olds!!!!  Why?  oh, please Lord don't put those
pictures into my head} strewn across the walkways!)  Stupid women.

Amazing fact... people in small towns read ONLY the crap!  I have now pulled
off the shelves because of lack of use: Wuthering Heights, most of the
collected works of Charles Dickens (Great Expectations was last out of this
hellhole in 1978), and the essays of Emile Zola, among others.  And these
books are going in the sale bin, or the garbage, to make room for more
cooking mysteries!

If you want to read anything in this town, you have to either buy it (which
I do not have the money for :P) or Inter-Library Loan it from some place
across the state (and sometimes from across the country).  Sad.  *And the
girl with her nose in a book begins weeping, quietly so as not to disturb
the old women choosing their erotic pleasures*

Whooo.  That was a good rant.  Sorry.  Oops, I have one more that is getting
to me.  I actually bought "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence", as
the entire world has told me how good it is ("Ann... if you love the Dharma
Bums, you'll die for Zen") IT SUCKS!!  BAD!  I quit after the first 100
pages!  Why does anyone read this?  Any of you out there that like it?  Can
you explain the attraction, Please???  I really would like to know!

And here's my requisite B&S content: what the hell does the lyrics "she
can't afford to please a girl / she's always wearing clogs" meand??  What is
up with clogs???  Love the song... am clueless about that line.

Three cheers for anyone who actually read to the bottom of this painful
thing.

Ann

PS: it is a indication of an awfully sad mind to be ecstatically happy when
one of your lines is included in "EE Fumblings Weekly Roundup"??  EE, I love
you!