Sinister: don't forget the motor city...

marie elia littlearsonist at xxx.com
Mon May 13 14:36:22 BST 2002

hello all.  i am... REPORTING BACK.

ANN ARBOR

one matt henderson and one justin _____ (both having driven from alabama the
previous day) managed to find me and kimmy and christiaan in ann arbor on
friday.  amy longcore was fashionably late.  fun was had by all.  french
fries were had by some.

DETROIT

upon arrival, kimmy and immediately abandoned the boys to make our way toward
the stage, unknowingly parking ourselves about two people away from genevieve
and paul, of twirly-light-up-"mick&stevierock"-sign fame.  a very nice tall
boy moved us in front of him so he could see.  i returned the favor when i
saw a girl who was Actually Shorter Than I Am.  anyway, slumber party opened,
and i've never really given them much though, despite my frequent bitching
about the lack of local girl bands.  but friday night made a slumber party
fan of me!

b&s played a long set -- like two hours.  two of my favorite songs
(loneliness... and simplethings) were played.  there was a great little
interlude where stuart announced that neil's wife had a baby that morning
(congrats again, neil): champagne was passed around and "baby love" was sung
by the band.  during all this commotion, christiaan pushed his way up to me
to announce that ken chu was outside and ticketless!  i produced my extra two
tickets, which i was holding on to explicitly for this purpose, and
christiaan rescued ken, who had driven all the way from chicago ALONE.
christiaan needed both tickets because the venue would not let him back in
even though they Saw that all he did was hand ken a ticket and come back in,
arrrgh!

but all was well and the second half of the set was amazing, too.  the encore
included a zombies cover (well worth it to hear stuart say "who's yr daddy"
in any context) i was all tuckered out by the encore, though, and ended up
listening to the last song of the encore (get me away from here, i'm dying)
while in the ladies' restroom downstairs.  good PA system, that theatre.

an amazing show was followed by a pretty darn good after-party, dj-ed by a
local scenester and then chrisgeddes.  kimmy and i danced our arses off, a
little starstruck when stevie danced next to us for a good long while.  i'm
afraid we may have giggled and exchanged Meaningful Looks, furtively looking
over and trying not to look like we were staring at famous people or some
such.  heh.

CHICAGO

christiaan and i arrived at the pick-me-up cafe just as everyone else was
leaving.  figures.  so, after some dinner, we joined sugarmice dave, kirstin
kenyon, bron, and mandee at a bar around the corner, our poison of choice
being diet coke and some expensive cigarettes.  they, however, had become
quite intimate with the bartender and the pabst-blue-ribbon.  we dragged
them, kicking and screaming, from the Reflections Lounge and threw them into
the back seat of my car, all the while telling them that it was for their own
good and that they would thank us later.

christiaan and i parked ourselves in the back of the theatre where we had a
view of the whole stage.  the show was amazing again, although it was odd to
be in the back with the considerably less zealous fans.  my handclaps seemed
to be out of place.  but no matter, because christiaan danced with me (a
little), and the band finished up with "the boys are back in town."

LATER

now it is monday, and i am at work.  damn.  it feels a bit like the day after
christmas, or yr birthday.  but i'm still a bit glow-y and grinning.

um, happy mother's day, a bit late, honey!  mwah!

xo,
ree

=====
."to me she was just marie." -mersault  .
. http://home.earthlink.net/~marieelia  .