Sinister: My American Tour Diary

Genevieve Wesley jiffy_popper at xxx.com
Tue May 14 18:37:18 BST 2002

Hello again. This is Part II.

After a day off before the Detroit show I am dropped off to visit my
grandparents in Troy. Grandparents are approaching 90 and don't get too see
me so much so it was nice to see them for a bit, even though unfortunately I
missed the Ann Arbor picnic. This too bad because in Michigan the weather
was sunny, windy and gorgeous. Unlike in Chicago where there are flood
warnings and no chance of a picnic. Feeling a bit nervous driving into
Detroit because that's where my Papa grew up and insists on scaring me half
to death with horror stories. It was fine though, apart from the bizarre
steam rising from every sewer. Maybe it's more of a Dad thing to ensure
proper behavior. Anyways, the State Theatre was absolutely gorgeous and very
posh, incense in the girl's (painted pink!) bathroom. Plus, all the security
guards called me "baby girl" which was nice.

10 May 2002 Detroit

Fuck This Shit
There's Too Much Love
Woman's Realm
Waking Up To Us
Wandering Alone
If You're Feeling Sinister
String Bean Jean
Seymour Stein
The Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner
The Model
Babylove cover
Simple Things
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Fox In The Snow
Don't Leave The Light On
Put The Book Back On The Shelf
Like Dylan In The Movies
The Wrong Girl
Dirty Dream #2

Encore:
Time of The Season
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying

The Detroit show is better than Montreal and Toronto. Maybe it was the
Friday night feeling. Perhaps this has something to do with Struan's love of
baseball and dislike of hockey. Poor misguided lad! He said he didn't
understand all the fighting in hockey. I'm in my familiar spot of being up
front and right. These cute twins are to the left of me. Struan asks if they
know each other and then invites them onstage to help out for Dirty Dream #2
and they dance up a storm. There is dramatic moment when tour manager Neil
(a cutie by the way, but evidently not the Neil that we all know on this
list) is congratulated on the birth of his daughter Annabelle. Champagne is
divided on stage and one bottle is given to the audience. Sadly, the bottle
never quite makes it to me. Paul waves his swirly light, now programmed at
my urging MICK AND STEVIE ROCK (Actually, I wanted 'STEVIE IS A ROCK GOD'
but Paul said I'd have to spin that one). Paul calls out for more Rush and
Struan says 'not you again!'. Mick manages to read the lights and gives up a
thumbs up. I was so pleased they did an encore, I know it's not their thing,
but you still feel a bit unloved when the lights go up immediately and the
roadies attack all the equipments within seconds of walking off. Time of The
Season was great. I love Stevie's psychedelic dancing. Didn't Struan once
say that him and Stevie were stuck in the 60's and didn't care? We went to
the after party, this warehouse out in the middle of nowhere. I was worried
because a schoolfriend I've known since I was 7 was supposed to show up so I
could stay with here. I drink too much cheap watered down beer and then,
suddenly, I see KEN CHU in front of me! It felt so good to finally recognize
someone else in the crowd of stylish boys and girls. Chris spins a fantastic
set, lovely old soul records. We never have any clubs that play that in
Ottawa. All of the band members are there in the corner except Struan who is
probably getting a good night's sleep. My schoolfriend finally appears! I am
overjoyed. She doesn't know B&S really, but kept seeing all these boys from
highschool that she had crushes on which was amusing. Had their hair styles
improved? She kept daring me to speak to Mick, but there was always some
girl by his side, deep in conversation. The music is great though, and I am
more than content to dance with Ken and my friend Amanda in the corner where
the band is. Some random boys hug me saying they love Canadians. A lot of
people are not sure where Ottawa is. Some girls from Toledo are amused by my
'ehs?' in conversation. That cutie Ree shows up with Amy and the Alabama
boyz so there is a good Sinister front. The Dirty Dream#2 dancing twins also
make an appearance. Stevie runs to the middle of the room with Richard to
dance for a few minutes. That boy loves to dance. After I'd been leaning on
the wall next to Stevie for a while I finally shake his hand and tell him
how amazing he's been at shows and then leave for Ann Arbor with the CHU.
Falling asleep at 4 in the morning, we wake up early to make it to Chicago
by noon. I am amazed at Ken Chu's speed. He zips down the I94 and we are in
Chicago in record time. There are amusing billboards on the way. My
favourites: "KNOW JESUS, KNOW LIFE. NO JESUS, NO LIFE" and "THERE ARE 10
THINGS CARVED IN STONE   --- GOD "

11 May 2002 Chicago

Fuck This Shit
Dirty Dream #2
Woman's Realm
Waking Up To Us
Wandering Alone
The State I am In
Dylan In The Movies
Jonathan David
Don't Leave The Light On
Seeing Other People
Judy Is A Dickslap
Judy And The Dream of Horses
The Boy With The Arab Strap
You Made Me Forget MY Dreams
The Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner
Dog On Wheels
The Wrong Girl
There's Too Much Love
Legal Man
The Boys Are Back In Town cover

Paul, Ken and me go over to the lovely sinisterine JennPB's gorgeous place.
It is raining like a bitch so there is no chance of a picnic so we head over
the Pick Me Up Cafe instead. There's a large group of sinister kids that
grows by the minute. This list is getting so big now my poor old brain can't
remember all the names. We were a bit tired from the previous shows and my
voice was near to gone, but I realized it was the lovely Mandee sitting at
the cafe. It wasn't until later that I found out the sweet girl next to her
was Kirsten! I heard their drunken, giggly voices later on at the show
shouting out their adoration for Mick Cooke, We love Mick! Yeahhhh Mick! I
tried to shout out my appreciation for Stevie but by this time, all I could
manage was a quiet STEE! Struan receives a lot of shouts. The cute twins
were to the left of me again and Struan recognized them instantly and
brought them up again to dance, giving them hats at the end as well. Struan
and Stevie did a little Abba style movement during Jonathan David. Judy Is A
Dickslap, which Struan had said they never did live, was perfect. Their
cover of The Boys Are Back In Town made me feel like my 12 year old self
when I saw a Blur or Ash music video. It was so...THE BOYS and only the
boys! Belfast Bob seemed made to play that song. Throughout most of the
shows he was pretty quiet, hiding in the shadows and going off for
cigarettes. The boys completely rocked out, even Chris ran around stage
playing air guitar. Paul was completely exhausted so unfortunately I
couldn't attend any after show mischief, even with the tempting lure of 50
year old barmaids named Sheri. Oh well, at least I got to sleep with the
famous CHU back at the sweet and hospitable Jenn's, and hopefully have
captured some of his magic. There was also a dramatic moment with a marriage
proposal, I'd met the couple only a few hours before at the cafe, so it was
surreal to see that, congratulations Colin and Amy!

If I gave you a detailed song report it would leave this mail even longer
than it is. There was never ever a bad song performed, and I am completely
overwhelmed by their sheer talent as musicians. It is something you really
appreciate once you see them live. Everyone switches around instruments, the
versatility is amazing. I can understand this annoyance with their twee
feyness that the press likes to criticize them for, because it is obvious
that they totally ROCK OUT more than anything else. A lot of songs that were
merely okay to me on the record simply come alive onstage. Legal Man
especially. They bring out these little shakers, sticks and the psychedelic
lights. Stevie gives us some theatrics and drops to his knees and sings and
points. I don't understand these reports of the crowd not dancing, where I
was standing, every night, everyone around me was dancing! Granted, as much
movement as humanely possible when you're all smushed together. I have long
hair so I have to be careful it doesn't look like I'm headbanging with my
dancing, especially next to all those delicate and stylish kids! I think the
other thing I realize is how important the other members are in addition to
Struan. Some more favourite bits....The Middle Distance runner was fantastic
every time. I loved watching Mick dance and his trumpet bits were soooo good
live. The Boy With The Arab Strap was a crowd pleaser every time with the
hand claps, but also Woman's Realm. At first I thought Chris was doing a
weird techno one armed dance until I realized he was shaking a wooden egg
thing. Stevie's songs were amazing, the Wrong Girl and Wandering Alone with
the great flamenco style handclaps. Paul thinks Stevie plays just like a
young Paul McCartney. Paul is almost like a B&S groupie now, knowing all
their names. The car ride leaving Ottawa had mostly FLOYD on the stereo, but
going back it was mostly B&S. I'm glad they played some of my favourite
songs from the Storytelling album, especially the high energy, but short,
Scooby Driver. Last night I dreamed they played that Suite Judy Blue Eyes
with all the boys harmonizing during the doo de doo de doo bits.

I hope everyone has a great time for the rest of the shows, and hello to all
the kind people I met on the way.

So now I have even more excitement in my life, I'm only back in Canada for a
few days before I leave for Scotland to live with a family as an au-pair.
I'll be in Winchburgh, which is apparently very close to Edinburgh, even
though no Scottish person I know seems to have heard of it! So if you have
meet ups and things, (even if they are in London because I'll be taking some
trips up there as I only had a small glimpse of the city before) please let
me know as I've never lived away from home before and I'll probably get a
bit lonely, so please be a dear and email me.

Love,
Genevieve

p.s
I'm very bad but I owe some people some tapes from like months ago. I
promise they will be sent soon. I haven't forgotten!