Sinister: When was your first time?

Danny Farrell farrell_danny at xxx.com
Thu May 16 17:54:10 BST 2002

hello dears,

The setting: I was sitting in my common room at school, the cool kids were
playing darts and the posse girls were sitting talking about who pulled them
at the metropolis nightclub. Some were even taking a tally of the number of
boys they snogged, one girl managed to have 50 odd or something, she
couldn't remember exactly.

I guess if i had a gang then some of them were playing darts and the rest
were talking amongst themselves, i was alternating between putting a jacket
over my head to pretend i was sleeping and reading something, i'm pretty
sure it was the picture of dorian gray but it just mighta been the catcher
in the rye.

I had the smiths on my personal stereo, or my walkman if you will. I never
liked music as a kid, i was just a reader as a kid. I loved the escapism of
children's fantasy, gosh i still do. It wasn't till i was 13 i realized i
loved music i still didn't know what i liked though, i found oasis and they
were good but there was something missing then ocean colour scene and i
liked them more but still i knew it was a passing phase, there was still
something absent.

Then my musical mentor,or maybe just my mentor, or maybe someone who just
had similar tastes to me but the desire to search new things out, i've never
quite decided on that. Anyway he gave me Nirvana and Radiohead and they were
superb, that's when i realised music was going to be a major part of my life
i guess, that was almost my first time but not quite, i loved it but it
still hadn't all came together.

So anyway in the common room i have the smiths and i haven't really listened
to it but i liked what i'd heard even though i hadn't given it a good spin
yet and then david walks up to me and steals it giving me a tape of what he
says are a band that are sometimes described as the new smiths and they were
called Belle and Sebastian.

So i put the tape on and pulled the jacket over my head so no one would
bother me and it was just before the start of we rule the school, y'know the
talking part of i could be dreaming, rip van winkle i think for some reason.
Then we rule the school started and i heard the piano then stuarts voice.

That's when i had my first musical epiphany,hell maybe even my first
epiphany of any sort. For a few minutes i wasn't in school but some
transcendental place where it was okay to dream,in fact dreaming was
important. There was no counting the number of boys you'd snogged and trying
in vain to remember their names, no shouting and swearing and trying to
outdo each other in some sort of slagging match, there was somewhere where
everything made sense and there was something perfect, indescribable.

Then the bell rang, accounting probably, i went in a daze. I knew things
wouldn't be the same after that, they weren't.

dannypie xxx