Sinister: REPORTING BACK - Issue No. 3 - 13 May, 2002

Sanders sands at xxx.com
Fri May 17 06:39:01 BST 2002

I would have posted this sooner, but as I have been on the road for the
past two weeks, this was the first opportunity I had to send/check
email.

----

Belle & Sebastian graced the stage of the Tabernacle in Atlanta, GA on
Monday. The band was in top form, and the show was flawless (minus a few
minor technical difficulties that happened periodically during
instrument changeovers). The Great Lakes, another Elephant 6 project and
a friend of Sarah's, opened for the band, and they were very
entertaining and good. They got the well-dressed audience warmed up for
Belle & Sebastian, and they were quite excited for having the
opportunity to open for Belle & Sebastian. After the Great Lakes set,
there was a very short break, and Belle & Sebastian walked out on to the
stage and broke into a very intense and high energy version "Le Pastie
De La Bourgeoisie". The show continued with the same intensity
throughout the night especially during Stevie's rocking harmonica solos
on "Me And The Major", Mick's clapping and dancing on "Wandering Alone",
Melora's beautiful cello playing on "We Rule The School", the Great
Lake's and Sarah's dancing and singing on "Legal Man", and Stuart's
antics and dancing on "There's Too Much Love". The band interacted with
the audience throughout the night inviting members of the audience up on
stage to sing and dance and by passing a microphone out to the audience
to sing on certain songs. Sarah invited the members of the Great Lakes
up on stage for some singing and dancing during "Legal Man" which was
very entertaining. That song took on a whole new personality live. The
band stated that they absolutely loved the venue, and that they had a
lot of fun in Atlanta. The audience had a lot of fun too and thanks the
band for the wonderful music and good times in Atlanta. We hope to see
you again soon...

The setlist for the evening is as follows:

Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie
Woman's Realm
String Bean Jean
Wandering Alone
I Fought In A War
Me And The Major
Jonathan David
Sarah #2
Don't Leave The Light On Baby
The Model
Sweet Home Alabama Jam
Georgia On My Mind
Sweet Home Alabama
Simple Things
The Boy With The Arab Strap
We Rule The School
I Love My Car
Like Dylan In The Movies
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
The Wrong Girl
Dirty Dream #2
Legal Man

Encore:
This Is Just A Modern Rock Song
There's Too Much Love

Notes on the setlist:
The band played an instrumental version of Sweet Home Alabama while
Stuart was talking to audience members about who knew the lyrics good
enough to sing them on stage. While Stuart was pulling people up on
stage, the band played and Stevie sang "Georgia On My Mind". Also,
Stevie dedicated his performance of "The Wrong Girl" to one of his
favorite rock legends, Elvis Presley. Stuart passed a microphone out to
three guys up front for the bridge on Dirty Dream #2.

A few photos from the show:

http://www.dtpx.com/images/photography/2002/belleandsebastian.05132002/b
elandseb.05132002.1.jpg

http://www.dtpx.com/images/photography/2002/belleandsebastian.05132002/b
elandseb.05132002.2.jpg

http://www.dtpx.com/images/photography/2002/belleandsebastian.05132002/g
reatlakes.05132002.1.jpg

I will post more photos later. Time to catch up on sleep now...