Sinister: These things I say might seem to offend, but not half as much as I'd like to intend...

breams jeremy at xxx.uk
Mon May 20 01:26:11 BST 2002

Hello sinister,

I have been sitting here for almost 10 minutes attempting to write a
reasonable introduction to this shambles and failing with excellence. I'm
not sure that this direct admission of failure works any better than the
failures themselves, but at least it contains two things worth noting 1)
this post will be shambolic, and 2) I am an excellent failure.

I don't think there was anything particularly wondrous that was burning a
hole in my outbox, but I guess I just wanted to chip away at the coating of
lurkerdom that has enveloped me. Even though I know that one of the rules
clearly states that you shouldn't email something unless you yourself would
like to receive it (it's got a commandment vibe to it doesn't it?), I can't
help but feel that this post is going to be dispatched whether I like it or
not. It's awfully therapeutic, no?

I guess I could comment on stuff and things, that's always a good place to
start. Right'o. Lambchop at Albert Hall a fortnight ago was something
fantabulous. I would even go as far as to say that it was the best
gig/concert/thing that I have ever seen (in my entire life, etc). I'm sure
there a plenty of people who would disagree, but at the end of the day, I
have never been that euphoric during and after a gig. They played as a 13
piece band, and managed to pull off faultless segues from subdued moments of
serenity to stupendous sections of what can only be called "whigging out". I
guess I'm inherently biased because I love Kurt Wagner's songwriting, but he
really did show his brilliance that evening as a band leader and performer
in his own right. I think all of the songs I would possibly have requested
or hoped for were played, and the one that has always made me go all giddy
and glaze over "Up With People" was spectacular.

I suppose, what I was trying to say from the beginning was that this was my
perfect gig (using a similar definition for "perfect" that David did in
referring to albums a fortnight ago) in that I went giddy with excitement as
soon as they started playing and remained on that level until well after
they had finished and packed up. Infact I think I only glanced at my watch
once, and that was late in the set when I began praying that they would say
bollocks to the curfew and keep playing for another 10 hours. I honestly
could've listened until dawn.

I'm not competent enough to write a proper review of it, so my calamitous
expression of glee will have to suffice.

I'm sure I had something else to say before I started that ramble about the
gig, but it got lost somewhere in the enthusiasm. Perhaps I can sum up
everything in a paragraph. Belated hugs, hello's and how-are-you's to all
the people from the Greenwich picnic, Cat Power gig, various footballing
outings, Primrose Hill picnic, escapades at the Bappsy Trotwood, various
outings in Camden and the like, and even as far back as ATP. To all the
lovely Londoners that have been so very welcoming and friendly over the last
couple of months I thank you especially. Finally, I just want to say hello
and give a large hug to Stefano, with whom a growing number of splendarous
days & nights are being had. Oh yeah, there's always one tacked on the end
isn't there...to Mr B Apps: I'm missing you already!!

Okiedoke, that's about enough from me at the moment. Though there is one
more thing. Has anyone else noticed that posting to sinister is much like
horse riding. Once you've fallen into lurkerdom, the longer you wait to get
back into action, the harder it is to do so. I guess I just stated the
obvious, but...oh well.

I'll see some of you this weekend in Brighton, others of you elsewhere in
the near future, some of you I'll perhaps unknowingly pass in the street and
a large number of you I shall perhaps never meet at all. Until then.

Love

Jeremy

ps. one of these days I'll learn to write something that is both tangible
and readable. But baby until then...