Sinister: beauty must die

Jonathan Skinner staralful at xxx.com
Tue May 21 17:33:15 BST 2002

Dear All
i hope this finds everyone in fine form. I am in suprisingly good form
despite skool etc. At this point i just want it all to be over and i can
gget on with the summer but i'll have to wait a couple of weeks for that to
happen but regardless of that i am in fine form
Thus wrote Trish Delish  "i noticed that there's a new piece of writing
up there, i'm guessing it's by stuart though could be stevie either?
http://www.banchory.net/belleandsebastian/
also hazarding a guess, but it seems to be the cafe mentioned in a lot of
sleeve notes, the one where the band did/didn't form, depending on whose
version you listen to"     The piece i think was written about Cork in the
subtext as i am undergoing the withdrawel symptoms after the closure of my
fabulous favourite eating emporium (hereafter know as COFFEE). Java Joes on
cook street is "dead and gone and with o leary in the grave" (if you name
the poet you get a prize i think) It has been a favourite place for me to go
and while away a few hours in the summer or winter whilst at the same time
chatting reading thinking or eating. The interior was dotted with tables
that didn't match sofa's that looked like it could tell thousends of stories
about things that had been done and said over (it would be scary if it
really did talk though*we don't want to hurt you we just want to be your
friend*)  little booths where you could hide yourself away a bord with
numerous amoutns of food choices  on it- a ceiling that had silver balls
hanging from it and a staff that you couldn't actully seperate from the
clientelle (Except that often time they were the only ones actully in
there ). It closed at easter and hasn't opened since-the shutters are down
and the inside sparten and torn up- i hope a new cafe doesn't open up cos
that would be sacreligeous in every sense of the word. It will never ever
ever be replicated but will live in till i have enough money to start up a
place that i would want to hang out in .Untill then it will just be tribes
for me- a horrid place where they have minumum charges and skater kids
hanging out and they (TUT) expect you buy things-they just don't know about
running a bussiness.
But on another point some on the list have started to question where they
are going in life and why nothing good or really bad really happens to them.
we all feel like that at various times in our lives and i do at the
moment-no real direction but just being pushed along by the expectations of
other people. DOing courses at school what we don't really want to do but
feel we ought to just in case of the future. I hate it but we especially are
bombarded with this "need to succeed" philosophy by our careers teacher who
tells us (Albeit through gritted teeth) that we should get as much money as
possible now and then enjoy it when we have sense enough to do it properly.
I couldn't fathom why she is a guidence counselor. She evidently wants to
encourage people to be miserible for 40 years until retirement before
*enjoying* ill gotten gains-it isn't good advise to give to confused 18 year
olds on the cusp of life and still (well a few of them anyway) holding some
sort of idealism about life and what it can offer and what they can give
back.That is todays lesson over
i hope people are happy and plans for the summer are slowly coming to
fruition

peace+love+plague and pestilence to all

jonathan