Sinister: life is a rollercoaster

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Tue May 28 13:30:38 BST 2002

Happy Tuesday, Sinister.  As the dust settles after the wholesale
Sinister invasion of Brighton, I am pleased to announce the winners of
the ARCHEL AWARDS FOR SERVICES TO FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT:

Best Emo Shirt: Stephen Trousse
Best Boots On A Canadian: Robyn Fadden
Best Drinking Receptacles: Liz Daplyn (retaining the title)
Outstanding Contribution In The Field of Music: Robin Stout and his
Casio
Special Award for Iron Constitution of the Year: Ken Chu With His Plate
Of Ribs
Best DDR Performance: Mark Casarotto (haha not really it was KEN
obviously)
Best Provision of Sweets: Stefano S.
Briefest/Most Handsome Appearances: Rob Brennan and Steve Peet
Best Fall (non-aquatic): Madeleine McNeil
Cutest Sleeping Australian: Marianna Longmire
Best Footballing Skills In A Hostile Climate: Greg Pallis, Mark
Casarotto, Ben Apps, Stevie Trousse, Paul Healy and Stefano S.
Tallest American: Sarah Garrett Sonner
Best (And Only) Henna Tattoo Of A Sheep: Jeremy Tweddle
Best Incoherent Phone Call: Ian Anscombe

Look, everyone won something! I am so democratic.

So, the weekend went a little something like this:

2pm: Archel meets Robster at the station and checks out his package (of
CDs)
2.15pm: the Sinister Express arrives
2.30pm: Archel goes to get Liz and Robin who have already managed to a)
get to a pub and b) buy a miniature Casio keyboard off some hippies
2.45pm: the 2nd Sinister express (aka The Slowcoach) arrives with
Stevie, Marianna and Ken on board
SEE GREG'S PHOTO FOR WHOLE MOTLEY LINE-UP

2.50pm: we go to the BEACH! We drink wine, play football, shiver, eat
crisps and Liz's home-made goodies, wrestle, then depart for the warmer
comforts of the PIER
(Can I stop doing times now? - it's all a bit hazy.)
ARCADE GAMES
DDR
DODGEMS
CHIPS
ROLLERCOASTER
TATTOOS

Then onwards to PUB (as featured in many Brighton-set films, I believe)
where we have a speedy game of Scrabble - so much for a 'tournament', ha
- and all the usual blithering nonsense produced by a group of Sinisters
with access to alcohol.

8pm(ish): all back to mine for EUROVISION. I can't remember that much
about any of the entries, probably because I was busy throwing poetry
books at Maddie, typing randomly on #sinister, eating Haribo and
watching various members of our company pass out.  Latvia won, as you
may know.  Well, how far did you think you were going to get with a name
like GARLICK, Jessica?

Somehow I ended up with 11 people sleeping on my floor this time, which
was certainly entertaining although I hope no-one sustained any serious
back injuries.  Stevie managed to fall asleep on some carboard boxes,
which i hope isn't an omen...

The next morning we braved rain and wind to visit the 'Gay Lard' cafe,
aka Buddies.  Our stomachs were at varying stages of health: Robin tried
to hide his uneaten bacon burger under his uneaten chips but Ken
polished off half a pig's skeleton.  Then we lured Mark to the beach,
hoping for a repeat of February's water sports (oo-er), but this time we
all stayed dry.  In fact we didn't linger long as the beach had been
invaded by mutant foam - apparently algae-related and not in fact the
hideous chemical reaction caused by sewage and/or Poseidon's jism that
it looked like.

Then I sent the wee tykes on their way, returning to my flat enriched
with a) sparkly presents, b) several bottles of undrunk BOOZE and c) the
now signature Sinister scent in my soft furnishings.

Thank you all who graced me with your presence, and may I assure the
rest of you that we thought about you the whole time :)

Luv Archel xxx