Sinister: the story is in the bag, keep your ear to the zip

Ellebelle elle_jane1 at xxx.uk
Sat Nov 2 00:12:33 GMT 2002

So there I was, trying to be grown up and inflict some
order into my life by the tried and tested and BBC2
recommended system of throwing things away (well
actually, I think you’re meant to do car boot sales
and a crusher but they’re too wet and distressing)
when I realised how much my accumulated stuff said
about me.  Well, I think it must give interesting and
profound insights into my life, but I can’t really
work it out so I thought I’d *share* with you because,
well, just because.

Anyway, what does owning four copies of ‘Romeo and
Juliet’ (the play, not the video or more advanced
entertainment media) say? And what am I supposed to do
with all the copies?  I mean, the first one (Heinemann
hb) was stolen from my Secondary school when I was a
3rd year and the best English teacher ever (Mrs
Ellias) decided to *do* Shakespeare with us.  Ok, so
she started the whole thing by reading ‘Across the
Barricades’ and then playing Dire Straits (no prizes
for guessing which song), but I loved it (the play,
not Dire Straits) so much I stole the book.  Each copy
sort of relates to bits of my life, but why I ever
felt the need to have more than one copy is beyond me.
 Unfortunately, the decision as to which to keep and
which to crush is also beyond me.

I also appear to have a need for tippex.  Eight
bottles/pens/micey things.  How did they get into my
flat?  How come there is never one around when I need
one? I think they sneak in when all my pens sneak out.
 That’s the only explanation.

I should really try to bring this round to music at
some point in a cool and subtle way, but as the amount
of tippex indicates, subtlety isn’t my forte. I now
either have the choice of making some cleverish
statement along the lines of putting the book(s) back
on the shelf or just crashing into another topic.

I choose crash, who wouldn’t?

Bright Eyes: Lifted (etc).  As many superlatives as
you like about the album BUT what is that first track
about? It’s enough to put you off the whole thing.  In
fact, the only reason I listened past it is because
I’m too lazy to get up and turn it off and Belle was
asleep on my lap. But it’s perplexing (good word, that
one), listen now, and listen past track one (or just
press ‘next’).

To anyone who’s made it this far, well done. V.
impressed. Now go and dance in the rain.

Elle

+Belle