Sinister: Fashion victims?

Caitlin Pigtails wpsalt at xxx.com
Wed Nov 6 08:24:02 GMT 2002

Seeing as Archel, in her post today, has been speculating wildly about
Belle and Sebastian's exotic kinky underwear, I thought I would post
this.  Press Delete Now, People.

It must be hard to be Isobel Campbell.  I mean, if you're Isobel
Campbell, you have a reputation to maintain.  Values to uphold.  You
have to remain infamously twee - which isn't too hard; you just write
lots of lyrics about little cuddly fluffy bunny rabbits and squirrels
and beavers all having a cuddly animals' tea party in Kelvingrove Park
- but you have maintain that slight sexiness, too.  "Hmmmm," Isobel
must think to herself, "how can I keep up my twee reputation, but still
look so sexy that lonely teenage indie-boys will still keep sending me
their jism-soaked stuffed toys?"

Have you guessed what she does yet?  Yes, that's right.  She pulls on a
pair of patterned tights.  "Aha!" Miss Campbell says, "now all those
poor indie-kids won't be able to take their eyes off my legs!  And, of
course, I *have* to wear a short skirt so I can spread my legs nice and
wide.  Um, to get them round my cello, of course.  All eyes will be on
*me* whenever I'm on stage.   Stuart will be sorry I'm not in his
rubbish little band any more.  Bwhahahahahahaha! Ahem."

Patterned tights seem to have become awfully popular lately, for some
reason.  You can't go in a clothes shop without seeing stripy tights,
stripy knee-socks, fishnet tights, lacy tights, and all sorts of
complex designs.  Buying an ordinary plain packet of tights has
suddenly become terribly difficult, unless you buy the cheap ones from
the newsagent which will probably stain your legs when it rains.
Presumably, people just don't want plain tights any more; which is why,
of course, that's still what most people are wearing.

I have to admit, I do own one pair of patterned tights, with stripes in
black, purple and red.  I can't actually remember why I bought them, or
where or when.  Either I was in some sort of trance at the time -
hypnotised by the pure stripyness of the hosiery section, no doubt - or
they materialised in my sock drawer like Mr Benn's shopkeeper.  I only
wear them when I'm cold, because they are nice and thick.

You can't *have* that many patterns of tights, anyway.  Little printed
patterns, possibly.  Horizontal stripes, although they can look a bit
goth.  Vertical stripes just wouldn't work.  There's not much choice
there, is there?  Lacy tights presumably have the same problem as
fishnets: they can make the soles of your feet rather sore.  I've never
understood why boys find fishnets sexy; but my form tutor always wore
them, and she was an extremely unsexy person.  I think my geography
teacher must have liked them, though, because they were having a
"secret" affair which all of the 2000 people in the school knew about.

Maybe I just don't understand the point of patterned tights.  I'll have
to write a letter to Isobel.

xxxxx (times 100),
caitlin

--
http://www.joannou.net/topofthestairs/

"When life gives us lemons, we just sit there and sulk about it, in the
  corner of the room, in a fetal position."