Sinister: Hamster Dance

MyMomSays at xxx.com MyMomSays at xxx.com
Wed Nov 6 16:37:34 GMT 2002

    Honestly, I wasn't surprised when my friend Pamela told me she was
raising a hamster family.  I remember when I became friends with her five or
so years ago she catalogued all of the hamsters of the past to me--there was
Maddie, Oliver, Patsy, and numerous others whose names have escaped me.  But
then she informed that she was named her hamsters, not joking: Stuart,
Isobel, Sarah, Richard, Mick and Stevie.  The little shivering, hairless lot
of them are a mini incarnation of B&S!
    At home, I am not sure I could stand a little cage full of those noisy
little beasts.  When I was a kid I had a hamster named Snickers who lived for
about four years and who would keep me up at night running around on his
little treadmill.  Later on, my sister got two hamsters who never received
names (and who were also brothers), but they were sort of fat and unfriendly.
 Later I found that one of them had eaten about half of the other, and I just
couldn't look at the nasty beast any longer and gave him to my 6th grade
science teacher.
    Maybe a week or so ago, Kirsten Kenyon told me that she found a mouse in
her apartment!  She then told me a story about how she and Jack Gillanders
had trapped a different mouse and then discovered it was a little baby, and
when she took it to the park to release it, she felt guilty about breaking up
the little mouse family.
    Shame about that one, innit?  Little mice are so cute, but there is
something just kind of creepy about them.  Hamsters are nice because they
have no tails and like to stuff their cheeks until it looks like they have
the mumps.
    The other night, Pamela sent me a photograph of her little hamster family
that she is raising.  I wonder what the band would think if they knew there
were hamsters running around with their names (thankfully not their
likenesses).  I admit, they were heartbreakingly cute.  But what kind of
person decides they want to raise a hamster family? It sounds like a
mentalist activity to me.  One of my best mates has recently started to raise
squirrels that he's found orphaned in the wild (wild?).  He found his first
squirrel, Towelette, hanging off his balcony by her toe, and decided to
rescue her.  She now lives in his bedroom and poos in the most inconvenient
of places (Namely, inbetween the keys on his piano).  He was hoping Towelette
and his other squirrel, Gregory, would mate so he could have an entire
squirrel family.
    Egads!
    Right now I'd better run along, I just thought you all might enjoy my
little funny story about the mini B&S running around out there, stuffing
their faces with seeds and pissing into cedar chips.  B&S--may you never be
half-eaten by your brother!

Yours,
Mandee May
"Inconsolably Okay"