Sinister: seven years of river walkways

Sunny set sunnie_set at xxx.com
Wed Nov 6 17:17:03 GMT 2002

“Before the his idea occurred to him, Stuart David fished the Leven for
seven years”
I have no idea what the Leven is like (I suppose it must have a lot of fish
for a person to stand fishing for that length of time) but having just
returned from a walk with my dog, belle, by a river I doubt it could be that
bad to stand by a river for that long.

I’m not sure I would really like to catch any fish mind you. They tend to be
fairly slimy horrible creatures. I remember being violently sick when I
tried to clean a trout myself. So slimy! When it escaped from my hands and
flew across the kitchen that was the last straw.

Not that I have anything against eating fish (yes I’m a hypercrit) Although
I’ll admit that, that time in Portugal when I went to a restaurant that
served a million courses of fish all for one price, which wasn’t at all
slimy, I was quite sick the next day. (Nothing to do with the jugs of wine
they served with it)

But Getting back to the topic. I’m sure Stuart David must have quite enjoyed
standing fishing. Why else would he do it for seven years? It wasn’t his job
or anything look:
“work is a curse…Stuart David visionary poet cursed it before trying it”

And as I think I have just explained there is only so much fish a person can
eat before becoming ill…so why?

The river where belle and I went today was peaceful and chaotic all at once.
We didn’t go down to the water today so I’m not sure if there were even any
fish in it. Once we leant over the bridge and looked over at the fast moving
brown water. No one disturbed us and the only sounds were that of the
roaring current and a few birds… oh and belle whining because we were
standing still. I’m sure I could stand there for seven years looking out at
the rocks. Watching the trees change colour and the river rise and fall as
seasons changed. Imagining the length of time that the river had been there
carving great channels in the surrounding rock. I could even accidentally
forget to put  a hook on my fishing line just to make sure I didn’t catch
any fish…
The fish may even get to know me after a while. I’m not sure if fish are
very affectionate but I’m sure they would appreciate the fact that I was
standing there day after day feeding them maggots… then again perhaps the
fish might prefer bread. Maggots are fairly unpleasant too.

I think all in all Stuart David had his head screwed on. I might decided to
fish my local river for a while…
You never know if I wait long enough I might just manage to hear the sweet
voice of Stevie Jackson coming over the reeds.

Take Care
Rachel

With the current crop of disposable jaw lines and manufactured inanity, it
seems that we need our heroes now more than ever before.
http://www.friendsoftheheroes.co.uk