Sinister: one of those days

marisa stroud charismarisa at xxx.com
Mon Nov 11 22:39:55 GMT 2002

Do you ever have those days when something happens and all of a sudden, huge
chunks of life make sense? Not the "ooohhh...so HE shot JR!" kind of things,
but

*BAM!*

the universe realigns itself and everything becomes clearer.

Like putting on 3D glasses for the first time and making sense of the
blue-and-red lines that kind of looked like something, but now it POPS UP at
you and SHOWS YOU THE WORLD!

That kind of happened to me today.

And it had to do with you, in a roundabout way.

So I thought I'd share it, and reveal my secret.

Here goes ... *deep breath* ... Until today, I didn't know what Chickfactor
was.

Beyond the Belle & Sebastian song, that is.

I idly read the references to the Chickfactor Balls. "Ooh, a ball!" I
thought. "I like balls!"
*no I don't. they make me wear pinchy shoes and I have an awful time because
my feet hurt and I whinge a lot*

"Oh, it's in London/New York/Not right down the street from me. I guess I
won't go." *end of active interest in matter. am new poster. don't know
about cool things that old sinnies do. aspire to find out one day, but as
for right now...ooh, shiny thing!!! attention distracted*

So I never bothered to find out it was. I figured it was something I'd
figure out in time, et si non, tant pis. *been watching too much Amelie*

Then I picked up the Toronto Star. It was free on campus.

It was just after 11 am, so I intended to read something meaningful about
Remembrance Day. But of course I ended up reading a sidebar about pop music.

And that's when I realized the sidebar was about the Chickfactor Ball in New
York.

And that's when I realized what the song was about.

"Pretty girl says 'Hi...
What's the worst job you've had?
What do you read?
What's driving you mad?'"

Call me Archimedes. But epiphanies, no matter how many people have already
discovered them, are the coolest things ever. Don't you think?

In other news, November would be a lot more pleasant if it would stop
raining the kind of rain that sneaks under my hood to get me right in the
face. And if October hadn't stripped all the trees bare before they even had
a chance to turn colours. I spent all last fall in Glasgow lamenting the
fact that I was missing all the glorious red and green and gold, and this
year the stupid leaves either went straight to brown or were blown off the
branch before they even had a chance to sneeze. Stupid autumn. Didn't it
know I was home??

Anyway.

If I was a character in a B&S song, I'd want to be the mayfly. Then I
wouldn't have to decide what the ~ I'm going to do next year, cause I'd be
dead. And mayflies don't have much time to sin, so I'd be going to the big
streetlamp in the sky...sweet.

But then I'd never go to a Chickfactor Ball.

But I prolly wouldn't care anyway. I mean, dude, I'm a bug.

marisa.