Sinister: The Shortest Novel in the World

elizabeth trawick heartxdan at xxx.com
Tue Nov 12 02:04:08 GMT 2002

Hullo Sinisters!

Ah, this is my first post.  Does it feel like it?  It certainly does to me.
I don't wish to bore you, so I'm not going to ramble on (at least I'm going
to try not to).  Yes, to the post!

When I first heard of Belle and Sebastian, I was dating a very tall boy
named Chris.  He was absolutely infatuated with them as far as I could tell.
  Myself?  I listened to the likes of Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Nine Inch
Nails.  Though Belle and Sebastian were far from my taste, I still tried
them out.  I'm not sure if this is horrible, but I downloaded a few songs.
Included were: This is Just a Modern Rock Song (one of Chris' favourites,
the first he suggested), Is It Wicked Not to Care, and Don't Leave the Light
on Baby.  Of course, being the "hard fucking rock" fan I was, I didn't like
them.  Oh my, were they much too girly for me!  I thought the lead singer
(oh, Stuart, bless you!) had a nice voice, though Isobel, I respectfully
called 'the other' at that time, was not so pleasant but rather annoying.
Yes, this was coming from the mind of someone who thought Maynard James
Keenan had the prettiest voice in the world.

It's been a year or so since then, and Chris and I have stopped dating.
That was very short-lived, as was my listening to the few Belle and
Sebastian songs I had on my winamp playlist.

Just a few months ago, though, I started dating another boy.  By this time I
was listening to 'emo' bands such as Saves the Day, Jimmy Eat World, and the
occasional Tool I was still interested in.  Him?  He was absolutely in love
with The Clash and Belle and Sebastian.  After a while of being in his car
and listening to nothing but Belle and Sebastian, The Apples in Stereo and
Beulah, I began to actually like these bands.  Oh, the wonders of Stuart's
voice and Isobel's cello and... oh, I could go on for ages like this, so
I'll stop.

Now, look at me.  I'm a Sinister!  My Tool and Saves the Day cds have been
thrown under my bed somewhere and my car is filled with cds by Beulah, Belle
and Sebastian, The Smiths, and Pulp (oh, is it wrong for me to want to kiss
a man twice as old as I?).

Oh goodness me, I'm giddy just thinking about "Me and the Major"!

I think this is turning into a novel, so I'll stop now.  To be honest, I
think this post is my way of thanking Belle and Sebastian for brightening my
cd collection.

xoxo,

-Elizabeth