Sinister: This week, I'll be mostly wearing chiffon

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 13 17:06:22 GMT 2002

Random Scattershot Communication

I have recommendations. Oh yes. Books and music. Not in that order, though.
Very little of anything else, mind. It's one of those days when I feel the need
to post to the list, but don't really have anything of substance to say and
therefore feel obliged to manufacture a reason. Which shouldn't diminish the
speldour of the intrinsic wonderfullness of these offerings:

The much-lauded Ballboy have a proper album, at last, released on Monday there.
A Guide for The Daylight Hours. "Where Do The Nights of Sleep Go to When They
Do Not Come to Me?" is the single of the year. Oh yes it is. I'm not listening,
it is. Don't argue with me. Anthemic.

The cryptically titled newness from Sigur Ros, (), as recommended to me by the
McDermott girl, is a full 78 minutes of human whale song. Glorious. This is a
second-hand recommendation, but I've been very careful with it, look at it,
mint condition mate, yours for a tenner.

Dave Eggers' quasi-memoir, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, is, I
have discovered after finally taking the time to read it and its attached and
cleverly printed appendix, actually that. Like Ronseal, it does exactly what it
says on the tin. The preface and readers' guide alone, a mere 30-ish pages, are
worth the cover price.

Mil Millington, of "Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About" fame
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mil.millington/things.html) has published a book
of the same name. He wouldn't use the words titular or eponymous, so I won't,
either. Hie thee to Waterstones where you'll find it with a couple of quid
knocked off. Read it. Marvel. Laugh. Be both entertained and edified. Then go
to his guestbook and tell him that I made you do it, and he will love you from
afar.

That's all. I feel much better now,

- M.