Sinister: He's so unhip it's a wonder his bum doesn't fall off

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 14 17:05:21 GMT 2002

On my inability to remain conscious during bus journeys -- some problems and
digressions:

I hate it, hate falling asleep on buses. When I wake up, always at the same
point in the journey, I feel like a tramp. All these people around me, genetic
freaks all of them, somehow able to resist the gentle rocking motion and
soporific rumble of the engine, they've been staring at me, watching my head
bounce arrthymically against the window, waiting for me to come awake with a
start right on cue just as we pass St Mark's church, realise where I am, and
quickly check to make sure I haven't been drooling anywhere embarrassing. Like
onto the shoulder of the man who rather rashly assumed that sitting down next
to me whilst I was fast asleep could bring him neither harm nor oddly placed
stains.

That only happened once, several years ago, and is the reason I now ensure that
I sit on the starboard seats of the bus, allowing my head to fall onto its
preferred side.

Which is odd. Most men, when asked by a tailor (most men will never be asked
this by any tailor, but we all fantasize that we may, one day, be in a position
to be asked) will tell him that they dress to the right. Another of nature's
little asymmetries. I wonder if this is also true of men's heads in the context
of sleeping on buses. I could find out simply by turning around and observing,
but, as I've said, I have a problem staying awake on buses.

Meanwhile, much talk (and evidence) of people who can't/don't use paragraphs in
their posts.

Of interest: Next month the university here is giving an internal let's-see-
what-everyone-else-is-researching conference, in which postgrads from various
faculties give pop-talks to show what they're doing with all their grant money.
I myself am not participating, what with my thesis being a million years late
already, but I know a nice chap from informatics who is presenting a joint
paper with an also-nice girl from psychology on the ways in which various types
of people present their written prose online, and how those are received and
interpreted. Not groundbreaking, perhaps, but nonetheless topical. If I'd known
at the time, I would have submitted Sinister as a case study.

Here is a quote from the abstract: "[...] and we present [experimental]
evidence to confirm the popular opinion that long, unbroken, poorly structured
blocks of prose are indicative of narcissistic personality-types, concluding
that while all other types of prose style are appreciated and/or preferred by
different types of reader, the block style is [considered readable] only by the
author."

You don't even want to see what they have to say about the rest of us. One of
the interesting parts is a computer program they developed that, they claim,
can analyse a piece of (formatted) text and make a fairly accurate stab at the
author's psychological make-up. I'll provide a link once the paper is published
online. Flame on.

As I travel home I shall ponder what the program might say about my own style,
for about five minutes, before I let my head knock against the window and
vaguely hope that I don't miss my stop.

- M.