Sinister: see those alluring lights?

Ellebelle elle_jane1 at xxx.uk
Fri Nov 15 22:33:19 GMT 2002

well, what a busy time it's been; makes me feel really

popular, seeing all those emails waiting in my inbox,
until i remember i've merely signed up to receive them
that is, and then reality comes crashing into my life
again. oh well, it was bound to happen on a regular
basis.

new topic: new paragraph (note please, paragraph fans)
as well as being busy (this is a new topic, therefore
new paragraph, i'm just trying to create a smooth
transition) these last few weeks have also been
exciting: poetry parrot, christmas gift exchange,
jumble sale... the list is (almost) endless. i have to
say i hope lots of you have contacted the divine Ms
Llew to secure the opportunity to participate in the
great Pressie Xchange. you know you want to. and i
know i want a pressie back. obviously, if you just
want to join in so you can get loads of wonderful
gifts and look really loved at this *special* time,
clear off, i've got there first. if any of you have
extra gifts to distribute (especially if they are
chocolate buttons [my staple diet]) please just send
straight to me.

hey look, it's another new paragraph!
the poetry parrot: what an amazing creature! but i'm a

little worried; has it/he/she survived its/his/her
back
from the dead experience? it/he/she obviously hasn't
made it to Liz Daplyn yet. does this mean it could
descend in need of sustinance at any moment? if this
is a possibility does it have a special sinister
tracking gadget? if so then all sinistrians need to be
on the look-out and have an emergency poem at the
ready (not to suggest we aren't all reading poetry at
every available waking moment).

emergency poem resource kit suggestion: fab anthology
called 'staying alive: real poems for unreal times' ed
by neil astley. (2002)

actually, whilst i'm going on about books to read i
might as well go off on one. (get used to this, it's
quite normal).

great book warning: 'a fine balance' rohinton mistry.
was almost put off this as it had a sticker saying
'oprah's book club' on it, but i trusted my reading
recommendation source, and.... wow. i had to take
myself off to a quiet place when i finished reading as
it had such an impact. read it. please.

greatish book warning: 'you don't know me' david
klass.
this is in the 'young adult' section, but when did
bookshops know about categorising books? i mean, they
put Northern Lights etc into childrens!

fab book warning: 'stormbreaker' anthony horowitz. ok,
this is out and out a kid's book: james bond with a 14
year-old protagonist. but what a 14 year old! by the
3rd book i'm ashamed to admit i fancied a teenager,
and a 14-yr-old one at that. oh the shame. the shame.

well, this mail started off as a reaction to Myra
Hindley's death, but i've got as far as listening to
suffer little children too many times and wittering on
about nothing. i've also managed to spend too long
staring at the photo of the band opposite the lyrics
for 'suffer'. the tucked in shirt days. oh i remember
it well. and it was forced back to me a few weeks ago
when a 'friend'  decided to set me up on a night out.
the *man of my dreams* (sic.) turned out to be wearing
a large checked shirt rolled up at the sleeves and
tucked tightly into his m&s jeans. is it
wrong of me to judge him on this? the final nail in
the coffin was he refused to come and dance! i mean,
not wanting to dance! ok, so i can't dance, but i
refuse to let that minor consideration get in the way
of something i enjoy. after all, i don't have to watch
me not being able to dance.

yet another paragraph, and probably enough to satisfy
the paragraph contingent. i feel i really should say
something of interest during this post so i'll leave
you with my fave. quotation of wisdom:

'to remember everything is a form of madness'
(Friel/Steiner)

i can't say anything about Hindley although i feel i
should, but perhaps the only way forward is to
remember the essence of horror we should work against,
and forget the facts about her. i think i'm trying to
say that making sure what happened never  happens
again is more important than her as a person. and i
think this probably applies to lots of things at the
moment.

love

Elle

+Belle (purr)