Sinister: "whos up, whos down and whos getting a jolly good telling off"

chris_t_opher chris_t_opher at xxx.com
Fri Nov 22 12:27:14 GMT 2002

hello sinister

i dont know why im writing.. i think mainly because the word 'manchester' appeared
twice in a digest and i thought, between all the phonies and scallies, there might
be some other sinister mancunians out there. i pounced on such a person (hello chica
alemana!) who wasnt (that) scared by my enthusiasm. if you too fit the criteria,
email me. just so i know, nothing more.

sinister has changed since ive been away. or rather, ive changed and sinister just
looks different. back then, everyone was grown-up and i was a wee kid. this time, i
guess im grown-up and other kids are posting stuff theyll be embarassed to read in
the archive in four years time. since i was away: <warning: includes gratuitous b+s
content>

- i somehow won the manchester treasure hunt and mumbled incoherently at struan as a
result.
- ive been in love, which was a nice feeling. i would even go so far as to recommend
it.
- ive started reading books again (wooh!) and have gone from hating catcher in the
first 30 pages to loving it with 18 left.
- ive realised that beautiful music isnt light-years away like it used to be. Just a
decade or two.
- and finally, ive panicked, fretted and wondered about where my life is heading.

still, im not sure. those people who know their purpose in life, that must be pretty
useful. whilst the rest of us change direction every week, they know where they want
to be and can plan ahead. i write to-do lists for tomorrow but these people can
write them for their entire lives.

neil halstead's album is great. i like mojave 3 but his solo effort is just better
on every level. other music i am liking is some leonard cohen i bought 15 months ago
and only played twice in the first 14 months. also, the nick drake set has somehow
found its way back to me (one of those boomerang artists, i guess). a noisy
neighbour last year meant i didnt need to ever play any nick drake, i just listened
three times a day through the wall. i can probably hum the bass line to his whole
discography just from memory. john martyn's 'london conversations' is also an
excellent album.

im starting a column in a magazine i write for. its called Things That Piss Me Off
and number one is sparkling water. there were at least half a dozen things that
pissed me off about sparkling water, with the final one being that it doesnt taste
of water, nor does it taste of anything remotely recognisable and yet it still
manages to leave a nasty aftertaste for hours. i want to get something about
sodastream machines in before its finished though.

my hope is that the guardian will pick it up and offer me a lucrative long-term
contract. piggytails has informed me that their chief rock critic used to be
sinister. who knows, he might even read sinister every so often! i remember there
was some even more famous listee. i think she was a model. or an actress. or maybe
just some attractive girl who looked particularly good in the sinister gallery and
im just making this up. who knows?

yknow, ive never had hatemail.
c.