Sinister: unlike my brother who is freudian i am a jungian so there is no blaming mother today

Jonathan Skinner staralful at xxx.com
Sat Nov 23 22:49:43 GMT 2002

SO dear sinister how is every little thing?
i have been until today in remarkably good form. A girl i went to school
with died today of cystic fibrosos so now the whole deal of the removal
takes place tomorrow and the funeral on monday etc etc The removal is always
the strangest thing in the whole thing partly because i never know what to
say. The whole deal of it is the coffin is laid out and the family sat on
the front row and you go up and talk to them  a normal one being- "sorry for
your troubles"  i never know what to say and i normally chicken out of
saying anything and just silently shake hands. it mostly means go in talk to
the family then stand talking to friends and in this case teachers then the
rosary beads come out then the hearse will come and go to the church out in
the country-a town land named Ovens of all things

Irish society is so weird partly because in many ways it is normal and
progressive like everywhere else but then you have they little traditions
that have come from a different era. The suburb that i live in is semi
rural.   I live 10 minutes from Cork city but also 10 minutes from open
country side with old church ruins and lakes and everything. So half of the
people in my school were from the country so i have become more aware of
partly because i had to if the different ways. The removal is a must, you
have to go to it-it is considered bad form if you don't.Hell it is still
tradition for all the shops to shut the doors and turn the lights off when a
hearse goes by. I suppose i like it being slightly different and perhaps
backward than other people-it gives us a bit of a difference. I suppose the
past really does influence the present. You can't drive anywhere without
reminders of the past. Old ruined cottages abbandoned since the famine ,
bars in the country where traditional music is played with or without
tourists , ruins of monastries and catherdrals next to crannógs and
fulachtai fias (from the stone age) or old battle grounds- you can't actully
get away from it. i suppose it is oddly comforting to know at least that the
place you live has been good enough for people for millenia and probably
will be for ever. That is what i notice most when ever i am in the states.
Driving though and with farms everywhere and no ruins from previous eras and
towns all planned in grids and everything , it unsettles me slightly and i
really don't know why i am writing any of this.

Anyway so another thing i wanted to digress on. Love. does the maxim from
high fidelity ring true " it is what you like , not what you are like"   is
compatibility say within music a must for a  relationship- obviously i could
never go out with a girl that likes bon jovi or what ever but do you think
that it really matters what music you like or films or whether you are
interested in art or photography. is full compatibility needed or could that
get boring? i suppose i should really come out and say it. i won't say
fallen for but a girl has come into my circle of friends and she is nice and
is quite good looking and i sort of got a thing for her. But then we started
chatting about music and stuff and it turns out that *gasp* horror of
horrors that she does indeed like bon jovi. Long story short when i heard
this is almost immedietly stopped liking her. What the hell is wrong with
me? i got on fairly well with her and then suddenly i stopped liking her and
started noticing other faults. which i won't list cos then i will probably
seem more shallow than i actully am. It was like dominos or what ever one
thing then they all collapsed. So has anyone else gone through the same
thing? i hope to god at least someone else has.

Um i suppose i should bring in that i am perhaps belately getting into
apples in stereo and the mainstream part of me is listening and really
really enjoying ben folds mostly because of the show i went to of his last
month in dublin

anyway i must go and do , ahh who am i kidding i have run out of things to
say

godspeed

jonathan

(oh yeah i think the ravonettes from denmark deserve and honourery mention
and yes i am aware that i have spelled it wrong and various other things as
well but i cannpt be bothered looking at the dictionary)