Sinister: I'm feeling so blue, cos I'm head over heels in love with you

Joanne Hill jlhill81 at xxx.com
Thu Nov 28 07:42:37 GMT 2002

I've not had any Sinister posts all day so I thought I'd write one myself.
This evening I went with my two new friends from Sussex uni to the Silver
Dollar, its a really nice little bar near uni. It looks a complete dive from
the outside and we never thought we'd go there cos it looks so dodge and is
next door to a hotel that looks like it hires out rooms by the hour...but a
month ago, we were told to go on a Wednesday because its bluegrass night and
is very good, so we went along and have been there every week since, me and
Carrie, she is nice, we get along well in one of those
recently-met-but-I-think-we-might-end-up-really-good-mates kind of ways. I'm
glad because it means we never run out of things to say, which is often a
problem with people you don't know and don't really want to know either.

We've started to recognise and sing along to a few of the songs on bluegrass
night. Tom thinks that is really sad and laughed at us. Tonight he came
along too, because we decided he needed a night out. I had thought it would
be a good idea, but he put a dampner on things, because he started to laugh
at me for liking pork, sun dried tomato, basil and parmesan sausages from
Sainburys, and I got in a mood, he's always criticising something. And he
just sat there, not talking, and my plan to get him to snap out of whatever
is his problem didn't work. Tom is difficult sometimes, a lot of the time,
and it can affect others. He enjoys his depressiveness. I also think he is
being stupid at the moment because he wants to go home to England at Xmas
and not come back, and I think thats a big mistake, just giving up this
chance of living somewhere new for a year. Theres only five months left
anyway, and Toronto is cooler than anywere I've been to in Britain. So I sat
in silence ignoring Tom and watched the guitarist who looked like his heart
wasn't in it tonight. He only sang one song and he sounded as
bored/tired/unhappy as he looked. But the crowd didn't mind. They had a new
girl bassist to look at, and some weird bloke dancing, he looked like he was
on speed cos he kept rubbing and scratching his head as he was bopping
along.

Joanne