Sinister: pale immitations for paul

Ruth Jane ruthmaverick at xxx.com
Wed Oct 2 10:15:05 BST 2002

for a change if we are taking things along these lines, I will agree with
you jo that there is no comparison to be made between the butterflies and
b&s, but for all the reviews and the spell I fell under at the gig, I think
they are average. for me they created a magical atmosphere with sub-pavement
tunes and a lot of charming conversation. sorry. but listening again, there
is little there to be proud of.

I dont think this is the opinion of a smiths-style dreamer, just someone
with an ear for a tune. Like all unique musical happenings, like the beatles
or what have you, of course people compare new bands back to great bands
like B and s , but I think this is cos when you hear something you cant
quite expalin the easiest thing is to relate it to other things a la
"b&s or divine comedy ish yet with a jarvis cocker-like singer and something
like Tortoise clapping?" (the chemistry experiment.. ??? anyone)??)

its also possibly because  bands like B and S have influenced a lot of
people since they rose to 'fame' and no dount more bands with a b& s edge
will come to the fore with time as the influences filter up to the surface.
I reckon it takes a few years to filter though , so jo you may yet have to
deal with more of this - but rather than blind comparisons made by b&s
lovers, I think they will probably be realistic.

and when I think of various fan type groups B&s fans are seemingly extremely
open to new music. Once into meandering jazz/ nu-metal / steeleye span,
always...

rx