Sinister: Anonymity is difficult

Caitlin Pigtails wpsalt at xxx.com
Wed Oct 2 14:54:58 BST 2002

Music is wonderful.

That's why we're all here, isn't it?  Because music - selected music,
at least - is wonderful.

I can't listen to music at the moment.  And that sucks.  First, my CD
player died a death and started refusing to do anything.  It sulks, and
that's all.  Next, the CD drive in my computer started to do the same.
At first it was fine with music but sulked at discs of data.  Then, it
was OK with well-produced tasteful indiepop but turned its nose up at
anything it thought was a bit avant-garde.  Now, it refuses to do
anything at all.  Occasionally, it goes *clunk* or *whirr* and makes
the rest of my computer rather puzzled.  It refuses to do anything
constructive, other than print log messages like: "ATAPI unrecognised
command.  ide0 reset success." and so on.

This is all a bit of a problem, because music - as I've probably said
before - is wonderful.  When I'm at home I have to make do with mp3s.
These would be fine, but for my computer being rather old.  It can cope
with them fine, as long as I just sit swinging my head from side to
side.  If I try to do anything else simultaneously, it isn't happy.  I
click on a link in my browser window, or try to write a new email, and
the music breaks up with crackles and fizzes.

"If you want me, bzzzk you knnnnn [pause] ow wh [crackle] ere bzzzzzz I
am,
I saw your aaa aaarm bzzp crrrk sin a drrrr r r chhhrk eam"

So, I was at work one day.  The Boss says: "We're getting the builders
in.  There might be some noise."  And they come, the incompetant lot,
and they *do* make a lot of noise.  "Aha!" thought I.  "I have to have
something to distract me from the drilling and hammering!" I told The
Boss.  "I need music!"  So, now, I take a pile of CDs along to the
office every day.

Music is back again.  Every day, whilst I busy myself with selling
Scottish tat to idiots and people with no taste, I can listen to
wonderful tunes and cheer myself up.  When I'm along in the office, I
can bop along and tap my feet between taps on the keyboard.  I'm in the
office on my alone a lot, because The Boss likes to go upstairs and
plan his big break into the TV industry.  I tap my feet, sing along and
pretend I'm coding.  And it's wonderful.

Sinister meta-discussion is, of course, banned.  Don't Do It, Kids.  If
you want to discuss anything that you think I'm meta-discussing, do it
in private.

There are often a lot of meta-discussion things I want to say, but
don't, because of this ban.  I often want to say "For the gods' sake,
shut up about politics already," but I hold my tongue.

In any case, I'm never sure of the etiquette on that sort of thing.  If
someone writes something you don't like, is it OK to write them a
polite note and say so?  Surely it's just better to try and write about
The Right Sort Of Thing yourself instead.  And what if they're doing it
anonymously?  What if they're trying to do it anonymously, but it's
really easy to work out who it is - do you admit to them that you've
found out?  Or what if someone who is normally really lovely, who
writes wonderful things, writes something occasionally that you find
irritating?  What's the etiquette then?  If it was someone lovely
trying to write anonymously but failing and being irritating too, I
hate to think what all the possible permutations would be.  It would be
far too complicated for me to work out, certainly.  That's probably why
meta-discussion is frowned on, so we don't all tie our brains into
knots every week.

(of course, sometimes it's easy.  When someone posts a badly written,
badly spelled, badly punctuated rant, full of cliquey phrases like "my
friends, who i'm not going to reveal the name of because it makes me
sound more popular", then you know they're a twat.  And if you knew
they were a twat in advance anyway, it's even simpler.)

Incidentally, the builders at work are *so* incompetant that one of
them nearly managed to make the building fall down yesterday.
Fortunately, we noticed the cracks appearing in the walls just in
time.  I'm not going to post the whole long story here, but it's on my
website if you're really bothered.
http://www.joannou.net/topofthestairs/

The etiquette thing is a bit similar to friends in bad relationships,
now that I think about it.  What do you do when someone lovely, who you
want to have the bestest of lives, starts going out with someone who is
an absolute twat?  I mean, what do you *do*?  Do you drop subtle hints
in the hope that they will notice?  Do you tell them outright in the
hope that even if they don't talk to you afterwards they might at least
listen and save themselves a lot of pain?  Or do you just stand back
and try not to cringe too visibly?  My brain is melting again.

The etiquette on people who plug their website in the middle of
Sinister posts is obvious, of course.  You give them a good spanking.
No, please, I *insist* ;-)

In other news, a girl I went to school with has just been sent to
prison.  She's been sent down for 30 months for heroin dealing.  I
didn't get on with her especially well - she came from a different
village to me, anyway - but we shared a few classes and I knew her
after a fashion.  I remember when she got her naval pierced; it was
going septic, but she was lifting up her blouse in German class and
showing it to everybody, incredibly proud.  I think of that, then I
think of her now, in prison and trying to survive on her methadone
prescription.

After that, I want to listen to music again.  Music can take my mind
off of all that.  Music's wonderful.

xx
caitlin

--
http://www.joannou.net/topofthestairs/

"When life gives us lemons, we just sit there and sulk about it, in the
  corner of the room, in a fetal position."