Sinister: Robin's Wall of Sound

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Fri Oct 4 14:16:54 BST 2002

Hello

Caitlin said:

<<Music is wonderful>>

I quite agree. Last night my sideburn sporting Kung Fu kicking housemate was
sat watching Sex and the City ("It's not just for girls" he protested) so I
went upstairs and listened to the radio. As the final string wobbled and
faded on a guitar as a song finished I realised a faint sound of music was
coming, one note at a time, through the wall we share with next door. I
switched off the radio, lay on my bed, and listened. Slowly, carefully,
someone was playing "Ticket to Ride" on a keyboard. Sometimes they'd hit the
wrong note, and wander back to the bar before to play it again. Sometimes
they'd be confident and play the whole song through. They sounded to be
working their way through the whole Beatles songbook.

I listened for a while, but it sent me to sleep. Next time I hear them
playing, though, I'm going to get out my Casio and join in.

Jonathan said:

<<there isn't really
much going on in the b+s world>>

S'true, but at least they're doing nothing IN STYLE:

http://www.banchory.net/belleandsebastian/240902.html

Sam said:

>Please everyone who loves the Shigs and Nintendo go
>and buy Mario Sunshine.
>
>I'm too excited to say anything else.

I wish he had said something else because I couldn't understand that at all.
It did, however, remind me that I need to go to Mario's, the barber down the
street, to get myself a haircut. Last time I was there he gave up half way
through, waving his comb and scissors in the air and shouting "I am sorry!
There is a nothing I can a do with your hair! It is a too curly wurly!!",
then sent me home with a smile and a tiny tissue.

I hope things go better this time. Maybe I'll get it all cut off. I never
know what to say when I'm in the barber's chair. He stands behind with
scissors in one hand and a razor in the other and I panic. Usually I just
ask for something "not too long and not too short" and, suitably baffled,
they just give me the same cut they did last time.

I've got the afternoon off and I'm still here at work. Oh, the power of the
internet...

Robin xxx