Sinister: Chickfactor, Glasgow meet-up and general smuttiness

Lucy Alder lucyalder at xxx.com
Wed Oct 9 16:22:56 BST 2002

Dear old Sinister,

You’re looking well.  No, really!  I notice a flush in your cheeks.

Who wants to know the gossip from the Chickfactor Black & White ball,
then?  I suppose, seeing as nobody else can be arsed, I ought to oblige.
What a chore, eh?  Ha!  Of course not!  Here’s the goss:

Sinisterines past and present in attendance were Me, Ally Cook, Nal, David
Moore, Sally Moore, Pam Berry, Steady Mike, Stevie T, Tim Hopkins, Ben
Apps, Rachel Sunnyset, Stefano, BG Ian, BG Mark, Michael Grant, Gav
Dunbar, Sarah Dorman, Starfire Dave, Carey Lander, The Pinefox, The
Gingerfox, Andy Dean, Beth, Liz Daplyn, Robster, Ken Chu, Martin, Matt,
Rich and the inevitable tons of people who are probably my best mates but
I still can’t remember them.  So I guess you can see how it was that we
practically filled the hall with just us.  Phew!

Bush Hall was extremely elegant – rose lighting on the stage, chandeliers
over the audience, lots of red velvet
 just dreamy.  I could have danced
all night had the floor not been carpeted.  Never mind, we sipped our
drinks most delicately and crossed our ankles and sat and listened very
politely.  Mummy Honey would have been proud.

And, of course, there was plenty to listen to. In fact, eight bands who
were all very, very, very good.  I only dared go to the bar between acts
for fear of missing something, so ended up fairly sober (not such a bad
thing seeing as I was also fairly skint).  My favourites?  Hmm
Camera
Obscura were deserved headliners on the first night –I think they were
what one might call ‘tight’.  They played tons of new songs but nobody
felt cheated because they were so *good*.  And Carey sang!  Pipas, who
provided Ally and me with board and lodging for the weekend, were also
fabulous.  I notice their website has some downloadable stuff:

http://www.plumasbouncer.com/llc/index.php

The best band of the weekend, though, were the Pines who made several of
the audience *actually cry*.  Can you believe it?  Words really can’t
describe how they were, so I won’t try.  I just hope they come up and play
in Glasgow soon (hint).

OK, will that do?  Now all that remains is for somebody to spill the beans
about Tigermilking.  Who witnessed dirty dancing, snogging or hands down
pants?

Now, onto other important business.  Seeing as Paul Ginger Fox (and others
from London?) will be in Glasgow this weekend, we really ought to get
together, oughtn’t we?  So, on Saturday 12th October, we will indulge in a
picnic-stroke-pubnic.  Incidentally, anyone who wishes to stroke me will
have to ask Ally’s permission, but I’m sure he’ll oblige.  After all, he
has previously offered my breasts to Starfire Dave.

We meet at the Tap at 2pm.  It is a short walk from Hillhead station or
Kelvinbridge or the city centre and has (a) pool tables, (b) quiz machines
and (c) comfy sofas.  These props will enable you to (a) show the person
you fancy how to hold a cue correctly whilst leaning in, blowing in their
shell-like and frotting gently, (b) win enough money to buy a bottle of
wine, cf. Ailsa Watson and (c) fall on something squashy and non-bruising
when you are too drunk to stand.

At approximately 8pm, you* will remove to the Pewter Pot, on North
Woodside Road, just up from Kelvinbridge, to continue your drinking in
closer proximity to

The Winchester Club (yes, I confess, this is a ploy to get attendance
figures up, ahem).  From 9pm, the Woodside Social Club, just along the
road from the Pewter Pot, hosts our fine night of bands and dancing.  Be
there or be square, darlings.

Smut, check.
Wanton self-promotion, check.
Content, er

Juicy Lucy

ps. I might possibly be able to offer a bed to members of the
Edimbourgeoisie -  email me if you want.  Also, email me if you're not
sure where the Tap is or if you're a scaredy cat and need my mobile
number.

*somebody else will have to organise this bit – I expect to be running
around with a frantic look in my eye brandishing electrical tape and
lollipops at this point.

=====
The one, the only Glasgow Indie List!