Sinister: A particle in the box.

Stefano [Steady-State] stephanowic at xxx.it
Fri Oct 11 09:33:46 BST 2002

Dear Sinisters

	I´ve been spinning all around some European countries lately,
mostly because my institution is quite prone to send me to away towards
partners and play around with the other people machine. I´m suspecting
they are quite happy, indeed, when I´m not around walking like a
peasant through the corridors and eventually eating yellow pencils. I´m
also suspecting their real aim is to use me as a secret weapon to
undermine the ongoing other group super secret research: just placing a
nightmare of a half-a-mess and half-a-theoretician element, what an
awful blend, in someone else´s instrument rooms...mhmmh... I shall
start considering this option more seriously and try to find a way to
escape my next supposed-to-be-destructive expedition, which might
eventually be directed towards Germany. Considering previous journeys
that make it quite a round trip along an almost closed ring through,
Italy, France, Holland, Great Britain and finally Germany, which can
eventually provide the chance for a full electronic delocalisation over
the continent.
	At the recent St. James factor picnic, in between the
Chickfactor gigs, while having a roasted chicken [what else for the
chickfactor... of couse vegetarians were dispensed and could have quite
an amount of apples&plums] someone, I can´t remember with which intent,
mentioned the Heisenberg´s indetermination principle* and the "cat in
the box". I actually think it is Liz fault, but that eventually
triggered me to give a kind of explanation, which is a vain effort,
firstly because I am all but good in explaining things, in general,
secondly because actually none really bothered to know what the hell
and indetermination principle could actually be. I think the cat in the
box is still the better approximation to an intuitive understanding.
Nonetheless this principle can be actually be made rather trivial as it
says that you can´t know the energy of a particle if you know it
position and viceversa , if the particle
mall enough. Considering I
am probably not small enough to be considered a particle, classical
Newtonian mechanic can be more readily applied and hence related energy
and position being rather predictable, on the basis of {increasing}
weight and {decreasing} strength applied to by what used to be a muscle-
skeleton system. O the other hand if I put an eye back on the calendar
it turns out that the position is not actually that predictable as it
was supposed to be, therefore giving some support to the idea that the
statistical approach should probably work a bit better. In turn it
means that, considering geographical delocalisation, with a certain
probability I can find myself located wherever in the beforehand
mentioned countries, suspiciously including the British Channel. I
think that is gonna be eventually a bit more problematic, but still, I
fear, in principle a well-defined probability.
		That makes me wonder where is my house
		Take care
		Stefano

PS: riding on city buses on a tube strike is sad.

Here's a prediction:
when you have stories to tell,
you'll tell them.
                    D.G.