Sinister: The season has arrived

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Mon Oct 14 14:01:11 BST 2002

Saturday was too sunny to be true. I should have realised it was just the
sun giving a final smile as its nose twitched and it prepared to sneeze. And
on Sunday it did. It sneezed everywhere, all over my house and my bike, all
over my hood and through the cracked soles of my brown leather shoes.

My umbrella got caught by the howling crosswind every time I passed a side
street. It blew inside out and I had to drag it back into shape. It flapped
limply like a bat with a broken wing and held its course like a bicycle
wheel with bent and twisted spokes. All the way home there was a trail of
dead umbrellas, abandoned in doorways, thrown into hedges, sprawled in the
middle of the road. I honestly thought I'd be swept away and end my days at
the bottom of a drain somewhere, drowned and broken like one of those
umbrellas. I didn't think the sky had the room for so much rain.

Maybe this is just Wales. Don't know. Now all the coal's run out in the
valleys perhaps they should work out a way of selling rain somehow. Rain
energy? Will that work? We certainly have an inexhaustible supply here.

Did anyone see John Otway singing "Bunsen Burner" on Top of the Pops? After
Justin Fucking Timberlake and No Fucking Doubt I was beginning to lose the
will to live, but then he came on and showed the spirit of Rock 'n' Roll is
still alive and kicking. It's a shame it takes a 50 year old bloke with a
boney chest to prove it.

Well that got me feeling happier again and made me think of Belle and
Sebastian's well deserved Brit Award - the last great rock moment - when a
trailer came on for a new chat show on BBC2 Wales which is presented by
Stuart Cable - you know, the one from the Stereophonics with the big scary
perm. It looked dreadful; terrifying even. No wonder it's only on late night
BBC2 Wales. That made me feel depressed again so I made myself a milky drink
to get over the trauma.

Blah blah blah, shut up robin. Anyway, I have a little proposal. Miss Annie
Tremp and I will be having a mini Sinister picnic in Cardiff on Saturday, so
if any sinisterenes are going to be in the area you're quite welcome to come
along. I haven't worked out when or where it's going to be yet, but just
send me an email if you're interested and I'll work something out. You may
need to bring your wellies, though, or possibly a small boat if this rain
keeps up.

bye

Robin x