Sinister: I obviously don't love my car after all...

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 15 17:18:31 BST 2002

The last couple of days have been unreal. Walking round in a daze. Two years
and two weeks ago, I was sitting having a beer in Paddy's Bar in Bali. It is
no more. Two weeks ago, I was going out for a beer with a couple of people
who were about to leave for a round the world trip, starting in Bali.
Thankfully they're OK, but it was a close call. Of course, we all know who's
to blame (even if certain 'leaders' won't accept their responsibility), but
that's for another day. Before long, life for people in the rest of the
world will be back to the same as before, just as it was after every other
terrorist act in the past. But there are hundreds of people for whom life
won't be the same as before.

On a couple of other internet groups I'm in, there's been along debate about
whether it's safe to leave home any more. To which the obvious answer (in my
mind at least) is that around 200 people from Britain alone die on the roads
abroad each year, mostly in France and Spain, but that doesn't stop people
going. So backpackers will be back on Bali within a month, even if the
luxury tourists stay away a bit longer (though they're not as important,
since the money they spend goes to big companies who can afford the losses,
whereas backpackers actually support the local economy). It doesn't take
much thought to realise that the terrorists won't achieve their objectives
by this. Which just makes it all the harder to comprehend.

In even more earth-shattering news, Stuart Murdoch is selling his car.
Apparently you get a free ticket thrown in for every single B&S gig for the
next 5 years (so that'll be about 5 shows then). If we all club together, do
you think we could buy it for the list? Then for every show, we can drive
there in Max. And he'll have to give all 1500 of us free tickets...

Is anyone going to be in London this weekend? The world's second best band
(probably), The Whitlams, are playing their first ever UK gig at the
Shepherd's Bush Empire on Saturday night. Now obviously all people with good
taste in music will be going anyway, but just in case, since I'm coming all
the way down for the evening, does anyone fancy a beer or two beforehand?
Get in touch...

Big Stu