Sinister: In Glasgow town with you by my side, In Glasgow town I got stars in my eyes

Paul Field professorpaulo at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 15 23:27:20 BST 2002

Hello there you lot.

I returned home from a weekend seeing some lovely
sinister folk Glasgow yesterday(if you're not
interested in reading about it then delete this now as
there's nowt else here). The journey was awful. A
three hour delay on a one hour flight, terrible
turbulence meaning the beer belonging to the guy two
seats in front found it's way to my lap. Just missed
the train from Luton and had to wait another half
hour. I finally made it back in one piece though,
tired and sad - but a good sad, sadness at leaving
after an excellent weekend.

I arrived in Glasgow on Thursday. Stacey and Sarah
were there at the airport and Gav was doing the
circuits. It was late. We went back, had a short chat
and went to sleep.

On Friday day time Stacey and I went out for some book
shopping in the Oxfam bookshop and a browse around
echo records then for coffee and a chat. Home for food
and then it was onto one of the two main events. The
Friday night piss up (the other main event being the
Saturday piss up, of course). The carnavan was the
venue. A lovely pub that stuck to the basics. Decent
beer, friendly people. I took my seat and commenced
with the steady intake. It was a slow start. I think
the pace started picking up with the laughter when
Ally arrived, drunk after cocktails, and seemed to
think he was at home - taking off his shoes. The tempo
rose again with the arrival of the birthday gal, the
lovely miss idleberry. Her secsy secretary came along
too.
After that...it's all a little vague. Fill in the
blanks. I do remember being prodded in the side a lot
and giggling, I also remember idles opening her
pressies and all of us filing out of the pub to go
home or wherever and to sleep. Until...

Onto Saturday....a day of football, pool, music and
you guessed it. More booze! The tap is the location.
I've been there before, I feel almost like  a local
here, especially as Nal and da chu have now also
arrived from London. At least until the football
starts, then its quite apparent I am not remotely
local. In particular when chatting with dangerous
mike: "Oh, I probably want Slovakia to beat England
but I am not that bothered really". He must have just
sat on a pin then from the way he leapt into the air
when Nemeth scored for Slovakia.

Then people left, we ate, we walked down to the pub
the old pewter or something - just opposite the guest
house where I stayed the last time I was in Glasgow.
It's starting to feel like a small city, much smaller
than it actually is. Ken did a fine karaoke rendition
of S club 7's pop gem "reach" which had us all
reaching. No, not retching. Reaching.
Ken did indeed have stars in his eyes.

Then onto the woodside for the winchester. Jesse Garon
& the desperadoes' "splashing along" really is the
perfect soundtrack to this short walk. Arm in arm,
splashing each other in puddles. I felt kind of sad to
arrive at the club, the walk was too much fun. But
arrive we did. I won't comment on the bands, I was too
drunk to remember to be honest. There was dancing,
crazy dancing. A lot of that was by some bloke who's
apparently quite famous. Somebody murdoch. Not rupert.
Apparently he's a singer in some band or other. Some
foolish words were uttered too, but that's how it
often goes with drink.

Then a subdued sunday. Meeting in....a pub, there's a
shock. Some nutter was wearing the same tshirt as me.
Some nutter was wearing the same tshirt as ally too.
And some nutter was wearing the same tshirt as Nal and
Calumn too. What are the odds of that?

The group who went to the cinema saw Kristin off at
the train station, the farewells were made, it was
rather sad. For me it was anyway - I never liked
goodbyes, even if they may only be temporary. Then it
was to the west 13th for the quiz. They won. Not us.
Them. We got beer though. And biscuits. Custard creams
anyone?

Sunday came & went, and now I am back where I started.
Thanks to all I met - old and new. It was a great
weekend.

And, if anybody is interested, pics of this and other
sinister events can be found somewhere near here:
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/professorpaulo

Paul xx