Sinister: only slightly, only slightly less than i used to

David Hewitt bulkdavid at xxx.com
Tue Oct 22 06:05:14 BST 2002

GREETINGS

Hello there Sinister.

Contact from me has been sporadic at best recently, which is (I suspect)
just how you like it. Still, I’m overtired and feeling somewhat
contemplative today, so I thought I’d drop you a line. Just for the heck of
it.

WHAT'S YOURS?

Someone said something about Sinister feeling like home. I thought that was
interesting. I’m not sure I agree with them entirely – perhaps it feels a
bit more like the local. Except, you know... bigger.

I seem to think of and refer to Sinister interchangeably as something,
someone and somewhere. If it were really one of the latter two, I dare say
many of our lives would have been a little less confusing of late.

NEWS

What’s new? I’m in a new city, in a new job, living in a new flat. I have a
girl with whom I’m involved newly living with me, who’s new to the country.
So, in summary, a fair bit.

CONTENT

Fairly obviously, I haven’t any. I’m not particularly sorry, but I can
pretend to be, if you like.

CONTENT?

Sometimes I think about happiness. It doesn’t make me any happier, though.

You know, I’m pretty sure I can remember a time when if you’d have asked me
what I needed to be happy, I’d pretty much list off all the things I have
now: a place of my own, a decent job with decent pay, and someone to love.
Despite life having been strange, unpredictable and bumpy of late, things
seem to have come together surprisingly well. I wonder, then, why there’s
still so much to worry about, and still so much left to do? Does anyone ever
‘get there’? I could convincingly describe myself as either a reasonable
success or a dismal failure, depending on my choice of terms. Some nights I
can’t sleep for worry, and tear myself apart for all the things I’ve done or
haven’t done. Other times I stop and look around me, and feel this quite
genuine thankfulness for what’s there. I don’t suppose this is either
interesting or unusual.

Think of when you’re running an errand for work on a sunny day. You dash
past the people in the park, the people sitting outside restaurants sipping
at things. How nice to sit there in the sun and just rest, you think. And
you envy them. Then on your own day off, you sit and watch the people pass
by, and your head is full of the things you have to do, and how far behind
you are, and you shuffle in your seat and look at your watch, your diary,
your phone. And you go. Or you go and drink.

You wish you were doing less, but you wish you’d done more.

EXCUSES

Sinister’s been sort of quiet lately, so I thought it’d be okay to ramble a
bit for now. I’ve been head down, bum up in this new job (no, it’s not THAT
sort of job, you dirty perve), so I haven’t been pestering you lot very
often, or hanging about being foul-mouthed in #sinister all that much
lately. Things have changed an awful lot around me, but you know I still
read your messages every morning. Some of you make me think, some make me
smile, and others make me grind my teeth. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

MUSIC

I ordered that Polyphonic Spree record about a month ago, and it still
hasn’t arrived. Bugger. Has anyone heard the new Delgados or the new Apples
in Stereo? Are they any good? Someone said that the new Reindeer Section
record was good, but I don’t believe them.

SPORT

I think every pub in Melbourne has a Galaga machine, but I'm yet to find one
with a dartboard. Has the world gone all topsy-turvy? I'm not dissing
Galaga, mind, but I've got a hankering to drunkenly lob sharp projectiles
across a crowded room, and without the proper facilities, that usually ends
in tears. Mine, admittedly, but tears nonetheless.

SHOUT-OUTS

To Stevie T and Mark C (ask them about their new neighbour), and to Will
Porter. Just because they're a bunch of handsome devils.

Bulk love,
-Vanilla Flavoured David.