Sinister: Isthmusology: what would Joyce listen to if he were alive?

Kevin Hyde kmhyde at xxx.edu
Tue Oct 22 19:51:03 BST 2002

Hi-ya sinisterets,

In reference to the subject line, I'd like to submit that Joyce would
probably listen to hip-hop, probably of the so-called underground variety
(I'd think he'd be a huge fan of the Def Jux guys, because, well, why not),
pulled in by the wordplay and wrapped-up like in ouroboros prose. But that's
just me.

So Stuart's selling his car. I hope the money he gets from this makes
certain that the next record is not the aural equivalent of a three year-old
with a plastic sword who is banging you repeatedly on the shins and
screaming the word 'subtraction' at the top of his lungs. That would make me
happy. Not that any of the other records have been like that (i.e. bad), but
hey, there's always a chance.

It seems like there's just a hint of hostility in the air (or whatever) with
Sinister. It's kind of nice actually. I'd grown so used to the
pseudo-bucolic daze I got from reading the posts that I took it for granted.
Just like the Godspeed you black emperor mailing list- it functions simply
to make me feel lucky that I long ago lost my desire to write sarcastic and
angry things to people with whom I will never meet.

I definitely think that B&S should release, a la Dismemberment Plan, the
backing tracks to their albums, and then let the fans do remixes. I would
kill to hear a DJ Chu or Llew remix of just about any track- first choice
would be Boy with the Arab Strap, or maybe even Loneliness...Runner.
I doubt that would happen though. Maybe we could do an all-emeritus remix
instead, of only Isobel and other-Stuart songs.

The new Dave Eggers book is good. less good than the first though. more
slippery.

thanks, and now, I die,

Kev