Sinister: ends "I can't go on, I'll go on"

Kieran Devaney antipopconsortium at xxx.com
Wed Oct 23 21:02:41 BST 2002

Dear Sinister,

How are you? I shall start as the custom dictates and explain my protracted
absence from the list of late. No I wont. I was reading all summer – I did
write a long thing about a pub in Birmingham which I thought about sending
but I went off it before I had chance. Alas. Sinister has been a tad dreary
in recent times, no wait, that’s unfair. I have greatly enjoyed posts by… I
wont embarrass them by mentioning names but there have been a fair few now
that I think about it, and also if I mention someone then any omitted names
might feel that I disliked their recent posts when perhaps I liked them and
just forgot or was merely indifferent to them. Still, there was one post of
fewer words than I have even yet expended which openly poured scorn on
another member of the list – not to be encouraged, one of the beauties of
Sinister is that its relatively sedate pace gives us fair chance to fully
work through our viewpoints – oh I don’t mean we have to indulge in tawdry,
strung out dialectics every time we want to say something, but if I were to
have an opinion, then Sinister provides both the space and the place for me
to extol the virtues of said opinion, perhaps even to play devils advocate,
for good and bad can be found in all things. More important than what the
opinion is, and more interesting to me and probably the rest of the list is
how that opinion is justified and explained, for only then can you be
vindicated in having it in the first place. Certainly, if you aren’t keen on
something that someone has said on the list, then no matter how far the
extent of your annoyance runs it will still seem crass to resort to base,
crude ejaculations of that annoyance. But I wont preach. I don’t know how.
Given that I asked how you are in my first sentence it only seems fair for
you to return the question. Ok. I moved away from seclusion in Birmingham to
study English Literature at Sheffield University in September and have since
been doing just that, amongst other things. I quite like Sheffield – it’s
fairly similar to Birmingham though, to be honest, which is a mixed blessing
(cue misty eyed false reminiscences about when places looked different from
one another, when regional identity meant something (oh, it does),
coincidentally I was in Leeds at the weekend and it, too, looked pretty
similar), Sheffield does, however, seem much safer, I have wandered about on
my own at 3am and only been threatened by a double-decker Jesus Army bus
looking even more lurid in the orange streetlight (please if you have
stories or statistics relating to horrendous street crime in Sheffield then
please don’t send them to me, I wish to remain complacent for as long as
possible). I could now go off into a lengthy report on the relative merits
and shortcomings of Sheffield and its amenities, but I’ve no doubt there are
already dozens in circulation which detail things much more accurately than
I ever could. I should probably mention Offbeat though, which is a fun place
to trot along to every other Friday, and certainly better than any of the
clubs in Birmingham, not that I ever went to them – I suspect a fair few of
the people there are on Sinister, I’m too timid just to go up to people
there and ask, but I imagine there’s at least one or two. For anyone there
last Friday, I was the one wearing the lemon yellow tshirt which said
‘Rachel’ on the back. That’s another thing, actually (I don’t know what the
first thing was, no) and this is the reason I dislike the people I live with
here, I’m in Halls of Residence and the people on the same floor as me have
taken aversion to the fact that I have committed such heinous crimes as:
occasionally wearing girls clothes, occasionally wearing makeup, wearing
beads, just dressing ‘like a weirdo’, being vegetarian, being teetotal and
having a strange taste in music; oh my heart bleeds etc… ok so it’s not
really that bad, and I’m exaggerating because there are one or two people
that I get on fairly well with, but some of the others think it’s hilarious
to get up to such kerazee antics as moving the fridge into the corridor,
breaking ceiling tiles by punching them and blasting ‘Eye of The Tiger’ five
times in succession at 2am and thinking that they’re justified simply
because they’re students.  Nonetheless, and so this doesn’t turn into
another doom-fest, I am, as I said, quite enjoying Sheffield, I like the
freedom of being able to go for an aimless walk whenever the fancy so takes
me without having to explain myself to anyone. If anyone is familiar with
the poetry of UA Fanthrope, then I would say that life at the moment is a
bit like that. Or perhaps I’m just inevitably romanticising the situation –
but who amongst us can honestly say they’re not? Admittedly, I’m not much of
a people person, in fact I’d go as far as saying I’m completely inept at
conversation and… this sentence was definitely going somewhere when I began
it – hmn - so, which Belle and Sebastian album do you think is the most
twee? No wait, don’t answer that. No, actually, do. The people on my course?
They seem remarkably badly read, for English students, as it goes, no one I
have spoken to has yet even heard of, let alone read Pynchon, Naipaul or
Perec, though I haven’t mentioned those three to everyone I’ve met and
obviously I’m horribly elitist as well. Then again I wouldn’t exactly regard
myself as being well read either, who would? This post isn’t really going
very far at the moment. Was there anything else? Oh yeah, if anyone in
Sheffield wants to meet me (and after this scintillating little whirl who
can honestly say they wouldn’t?) then that’d be lovely, just form an orderly
queue behind the bikesheds, or email me, whichever is the more convenient.

I suppose it just remains for me to apologise for not turning up at the
Birmingham picnic(s) a couple of months ago, if I haven’t already, but I
think I actually developed an aversion to people during the course of the
summer. But. Even catatonia has to duet with Tom Jones every now and again.

Love,
Kieran