Sinister: From the view I saw today

Steven Rhodes stevenrhodes at xxx.com
Wed Oct 30 11:12:07 GMT 2002

I've had a few beautiful belle & sebastian moments recently.
One was when i was driving home from work, stuck in traffic, listening
to 'women's realm' in the afternoon as the sun was going down behind the
hills. That song builds up so well and by the time it got to that
wonderful ending part with stuart dueting with himself...
(the part that goes: 'You slept better in a sleeping train in a shed in
a station with a torch and a Woman's Realm to keep you warm to keep you
company' )... I was in an amazing trance-like state (sure, maybe it was
the lead infused exhaust fumes) just listening in complete fascination.
Even better, the two harmony parts where coming from two different
speakers on opposite sides of the car. The strings in that song are like
poetry. I recommend everybody goes and listens to it after reading this.
If you choose not to, I'll understand. It's not like i'm hung up about it.

Another really nice song is the finale to 'marx and engels' where stuart
sings the first verse again and isobel sings a completely independant
harmony part about the social history of feudalism. (or something...i
never studied social sciences but got quite good grades in art. Now life
in general eludes me). How those 2 harmonies meld together to create the
perfect bittersweet melody is beyond me but it is truly wonderous
etcetera.

I don't think I recall ever hearing anyone from brisbane, australia on
the list. If there is anyone from here happening to read this by some
bizzare stoke of coincidence, then could you please let me know?
(Perhaps off list so as not to entangle innocent bystanders in the
inconsequential misadventures of my self indulgence.) Brisbane is such a
small town
Maybe it would be fun to meet up. Maybe it would be really good and quite
nice.
Anyway, must dash and sleep and dream of things that I don't seem to be
able to do properly.