Sinister: I just find them confusing

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Tue Sep 3 22:14:42 BST 2002

Hello Sinister,

a quick mail from the Dirty Vicar before I unsubscribe to pay a quick visit
to the Netherlands.

I've been to some interesting musical things. As you know I live in Dublin,
and consequently I went to the first night of Wonky, which was this kind of
festival thing in a converted industrial space that was once used to
manufacture Guinness. The space itself was very striking - a huge industrial
edifice from which you got wonderful views of the city at night. but also
the music was top too, with local bands like the Dudley Corporation, the
Jimmycake, and Large Mound turning in G*R*A*T*E performances.

Best of all though were the Chalets. I mentioned them last time, now that I
have actually seen them in concert they are truly the best band in the world
that aren't B&S. They even include a former Sinister subber among their
numbers so they have to be good. If you like the idea of a band fronted by
two Betty Page lookalikes singing sharp boy-girl vocals and playing with
xylophones you will like the Chalets. I'm hoping they go on to release some
actual records before I lose interest.

I also went to some world music shite which was T*O*P. Some brass band
fellows from Rajastahn met with my approval, their blaring sounds calling to
mind the Sun Ra Arkestra. And the Gotipua Dancers were also impressive. they
were these boy dancers who dress like women and do dancing and stuff. the
whole dressing like women thing was a bit bizarre, because it meant I was
eyeing up people onstage and thinking "mmm, kinda tasty" and then
remembering that they were i) male and ii) underage. ah well, beggars can't
be choosers.

And so I must leave you.

DV