Sinister: i use the same suit for everything

Kieran Devaney antipopconsortium at xxx.com
Wed Apr 2 20:30:30 BST 2003

The song on the radio was ‘Rawhide’ by The Ventures. I knew it well, and so,
it seemed, did my dad and he hummed along with the gentle lilt of the tune
as he drove. I had first come across this song a couple of years ago,
downloading it during a period of wilful and quite deliberate quote unquote
broadening of my horizons. If you go to the warp records website which I
believe can be found at http://www.warprecords.com then you can listen to
streams of old radio mixes from a variety of their artists. A great deal of
them are well worth hearing I think, I might even guardedly venture that
they’re more often than not better than the output of whoever put the sets
together – the whole being significantly less than the sum of its parts, as
it were. A fair few of them provide tracklistings to go with the stream, and
if your computer is anything like mine then if you connect up to the stream
and get it playing then the sound will constantly stop and wait and then
start up again because of something called buffering. Buffering is most
annoying, and not at all conducive to hearing what’s going on properly, and
I expect you will, I certainly did. One way to remedy this would be to
download the tracks from the mix and then listen to them separately. The
added bonus being of course that you could then do that again and again if
you liked them enough, whether online or off. From my truncated, bitty
hearings, the aptly titled ‘Discomix’ by Plone sounded particularly worthy,
containing bits of dub, obscure psych nuggets (they always get called those,
don’t they?), some lounge music, some soundtrack stuff, etc, you get the
idea… My fledgling knowledge at the time could only find one real reference
point to the sounds that I heard from that stream and that was, er, Plone
themselves. So I set about downloading, and indeed it introduced me to such
luminaries as Ennio Moriconne, Delia Derbyshire, Martin Denny and the
curiously named Dick Hyman. This was unfamiliar music made by unfamiliar
people, people’s whose records I had never seen in the shops, wouldn’t know
where to start looking if I had wanted them. Of course, this is one of the
many beauties of filesharing, especially the now tragically defunct
Audiogalaxy – and whatever the various setbacks and arguments against it
it’s hard to imagine finding music like this and being able to listen to it
properly without such programmes. I mention all this because, as you might
possibly have guessed, a song by The Ventures – it wasn’t ‘Rawhide’ though,
in fact the site didn’t know which song it was, there was just a question
mark next to the band’s name, so without a proper title I decided to
download a couple of Ventures tunes, just to get a rough idea. One of these
was indeed ‘Rawhide’.

If you’re not familiar with the song, and I guess there’s all sorts of
reasons why you wouldn’t be (it's a cover too, so perhaps you've heard other
versions), then it goes like this: First, there are a few plucked notes on a
twangy guitar, then another guitar and a bass join in, along with some
percussion and they play together for a few seconds, it’s a neat, upbeat
surf guitar number, I suppose that’s how you’d describe it, simple stuff,
the guitars build and then there’s a spate of gunfire percussion, a pause
and the tune starts up again. About halfway through there’s some more
elaborate soloing on the lead guitar, and the percussion gets a bit more
frenetic towards the end, but that’s more or less it really. I like the DJ
on this station, Capitol Gold, my dad’s choice – “Something like that
probably wouldn’t get into the charts these days.” He reckons, but he says
it in a way that doesn’t make it sound like a dismissal of the stuff that is
in the charts, which isn’t easy, let me tell you.

As the record plays in the car I’m reminded of first listening to it, along
with a whole bunch of other stuff laboriously downloaded on my 56k
connection (I like to think that the waiting makes us value songs that
little bit more when they finally arrive), on my tinny in-ear headphones, or
through equally tinny computer speakers, I can’t recall which, though it was
probably the former. Imagine me sat there, then, little earphones plugged
in, the noise from the telly in the background as my brother watches, I
don’t know, something offensive, in front of the computer, listening to this
new music. And thinking at first how alien it seemed from the digital clunks
of the Warp Records site, and how divorced it all seemed, both from the
stuff in the charts and the quote unquote indie stuff that my friends were
listening to. This music seemed entirely out of that equation, and all the
better for it, it spoke of a big open world bright with the fizz of a fun,
dynamic future, away from streets bunged up with cluttered houses, litter,
graffiti, boarded up shop windows and drab suburban Sunday evenings. It
sounded at turns naggingly familiar and delightfully foreign, with the kind
of open-handed optimism and innocence so absent from much of today’s music.
I generalise of course. But with that innocence came a harsher, more fraught
edge beyond the kitschy otherness, a genuine palpable dread of a future that
this music might not be the soundtrack for.

No wonder there has been a revival of sorts, posited by groups like
Stereolab, most notably and various others who I’m sure you’re aware of.
Apparently you used to be able to pick up these records in charity shops and
at car boot sales, amongst all the other junk that we haven’t had a revival
for yet, but it has all been snapped up by collectors. It’s a pity. Rare
Moriconne records can fetch thousands nowadays, or so I’m told. A fistful of
dollars indeed. So it might be worth having another flight through the racks
at your local Age Concern, because you never know do you? But I didn’t learn
this until much later and at the time of those first listens this music
sounded like nothing else and I was instantly hooked. But, as I’ve said, the
records themselves are difficult to come across, there are a few decent
compilations knocking around, but mostly my collection has had to stick to
mp3s, but there’s nothing wrong with that. From there it lead me down
various avenues to free jazz, bits of world music and all sorts of other
things besides – I shan’t list them. I believe the mixes are still online,
if you’re interested – the ones to go for are the Plone and Broadcast ones I
think. Even the mp3s are more difficult to find now, since the death of
Audiogalaxy everything seems to have decentralised, and it’s probably nigh
on impossible to find some of the songs, not without a lengthy trawl through
the various filesharing networks anyway. Alas.

My dad is humming along and at first I think I’ve mistakenly identified the
song – or am not hearing it properly through the car speakers. But it is The
Ventures, the DJ will confirm this for me after the song finishes –
“Something like that probably wouldn’t get into the charts these days.” he
will say. But today it sounds flat and uninspiring as we pass through
Birmingham’s hollowed out building site district, on the way to the station,
dusk just settling on a tepid sky, punctuated by the smoke trails of
long-past aeroplanes. Today, sandwiched awkwardly between The Kinks’ ‘Sunny
Afternoon’ and that record that was bastardised for the Vitalite adverts,
with my dad humming along it doesn’t sound up to much, doesn’t sound half so
exotic as it did before – it could be an entirely different record.
Certainly if this would’ve been my first hearing then I wouldn’t have given
it a seconds notice, would probably have forgotten it as soon as the record
ended, another record consigned to irrelevance. But here it was, a record
that had seemed to me part of a gateway to new musical experience – one that
*had* in fact been part that gateway, now suddenly grounded. I think a big
Part of what attracted me to the music in the first place, and what made me
like it so much was that there were no faces attached, no familiar names, so
little in the way of context, beyond the fact that Plone, or Broadcast, or
whoever liked them – and who are Plone anyway? Two blokes from the same city
as me, but beyond that? Nothing. And now my dad is humming along to one of
those records – suddenly it has become part of his history too. Chances are
he’s just heard it enough times on Capitol Gold while he’s driving, they
don’t have a huge playlist really, but that’s enough to tie it to something
less than exotic. Enough to pull it out of this big abstract past of glamour
and transgression

Some research on The Ventures reveals that they are, according to their fan
websites, the most successful instrumental rock act of all time, they have
recorded more than three thousand songs and in Japan in the sixties they
outsold The Beatles by two to one. They are also still together, and touring
regularly.

Which isn’t to say I’m disappointed in any way, I listened to the song a
couple of times while I was writing this and it still sounds pretty great,
not nearly the most unconventional thing on Plone’s list, but not the most
straightforward either. I enjoyed hearing it again this time anyway. And I
know I’ve written about my dad probably too much, just check the archives,
about how he tries to articulate the fact that he sometimes feels trapped by
work and his family but the thought of him driving his car, humming along to
that crackly surf guitar record from 1961, some two years before he was
born, as it goes, is one that I can't help but let bother me. Insert your
own superlative here.

Sinister, I shall be seeing you on Saturday in London.
- Kieran