Sinister: oh, get over it

Retro^Sec retrosec at xxx.uk
Thu Apr 3 22:04:38 BST 2003

Stine, wrote:

 so i seem to have twisted several peoples knickers
lately.  i think this is due to my lack of ability to
articulate well.  to clear the air...

1) i am not pro war
2) i am not a republican
3) i am not a dubya fan
4) i am, and have been for years, an active member of
amnesty international
5) i am a member of the green party
6) i did not vote for bush
7) i did not vote for gore
8) i did vote for nader
9) yes, i think GWB is a scumbag....but i also think
that Gore is a scumbag...and Clinton...and 99%
ofpoliticians worldwide
10) please stop sending me hate mail and telling me
that i know nothing.  there have been many times where
i have disagreed with opinions of people on sinister.
i have never sent such an email.  we are on this list
to share our views, whether they be popular or not,
and not to attack one another.  if that were the case,
i would bash every single person who likes the white
stripes...i think they're shit, personally, but who
the fuck cares?  it's just a mailing list.
11) i have no firm stance on the war, really.  my gut
reaction is to say i am totally against it, yet i can
respect and understand where people who are for it are
coming from.  if that makes me "suck" then so be it."

Of which, I can personally say I fall into sections 1,
2, 3,6,7. I am neither pro or anti war, in public.
Number 2 is also true for me too, cos I never voted
for them. What with me being foreign and all, and not
allowed to take part in other peoples elections. 3 is
again, true, I did not pay membership and receive a
free badge, secret code book and a monthly comic with
occasional free mini plastic frisbee. 6 and 7  - no I
didn't, they haven't been here to be elected, and you
know, its the whole vote in the country in which you
live, stuff, although maybe they should make it more
open, just cos more people might vote if it was
worldwide. 8 - who?

I generally agree with number 9, with exception of
Scotlands lovely bunch of politicians. Especially
those conservatives. Always so polite and friendly and
they remember my name and face, bless them. Mind you,
I like the fact that the green political guy looks
like Dr Who. Which is rather apt, seeing as there is a
police box outside the parly office. I guess he parks
it there in the mornings.

 I wonder what would happen if we had Dr Who running
Scotland... would it look bigger on the outside than
it was on the inside? Would our greatest terrorist
threat be from extermination by daleks, in which case,
all we have to do is build lots of steps everywhere.
Which wouldn't be a bad thing, cos running up and down
steps would get the people of scotland into some sort
of shape. Plus, you know, the daleks would never visit
the town of Stepps. Mind you, neither would I. Out of
choice, its not my first holiday destination.

But anyway, I am slightly degressing, and I think
number 10 is really sad. I mean Stine's number 10,
rather than the other number 10 where the BBC camps
outside.

I think that is sad. I remember, a while ago, a long
long while ago, fairytale long while ago, I was having
a rant (yes, really. A rant, can you believe it? heh.
me. Of all people) about Kyoto agreements and such
like, and making ridiculous suggestions about building
giant B&Q (B&Q - Do It Yourself store that sells
paint, fencing, spanners, etc) style fence round
America and boycotting it. And people wrote me lots of
rude e mails, some using the f word. Yes, Fencing.
And I thought that was really sad. And I remember Neil
Robertson getting grief for voicing an opinion on
American politicians. The "OOH ESS EH!" mob didn't
like it. Fair enough. I guess politics is one of those
dangerous roads. You don't go down it unless you can
be prepared to accept that voicing your opinion might
not be appreciated by all. That is understandable. And
there is all those ten commandments of not discussing
P*l*t*cs and R*l*g**n on the list. WHich is also, fair
enough, its there to stop us getting all het up, and
we really should leave that to the professional
tabloid media, and people who write letters to the
Sunday Express.

But at the same time, I don't think that voicing an
opinion, whether it breaks rules, or not, is
necessarily something people should be getting all
angry about and sending rude emails telling the
opinionator that their mother smells like wet fish
(normal mother, not list mother) and their dad smells
of elderberries and hamsters. I think that is sad.

In terms of Stine knowing nothing, I don't know
whether that is true or not. And neither do you.
Disagreeing is fine, and sure, disagree. Disagree with
me if you like. Come on. I can take ya. But don't be
rude. Its a sad thing really, that to disagree, you
have to make it into a personal assault. Disagee, but
disagree with an iota of intelligence, otherwise the
you're a hypocrite for saying the other person knows
nothing, and you won't look big, or at all clever. I
thought Mark Casarotto did an interesting job of
showing us how to make a point, showing you can be big
and clever. And I agree with him totally about voting.

 Not voting doesn't prove anything. You might make the
"radical" assumption that you are somehow trying to
bring chaos to the system, and a no-vote means that
somewhere, somehow, you'll bring it all crashing down.
You won't. If you have a political establishment, its
not going to go away just because you don't vote. Even
if lots of people don't vote together, it doesn't mean
that it will stop existing. It won't. There will still
be politicians. If it has been created, then its here
to stay. Best just use your vote to the best of your
own personal opinion and wisdom. Plus, if you don't
vote, don't complain.

I disagree with her thoughts on the White Stripes. I
like them. And when she said "dirty vicar is
officially the most amazing person on
sinister!". Dirty Vicar? I'd have Ken Chu over Dirty
Vicar anyday. Forgive me for making a comment that
sounds like a popularity contest. But I'm not going to
start sending her hate mail. I'm not taking a side
here, I'm making a point.

I'm saying this, but I'm trying to be careful at the
same time, and not start dragging the list down into
the gutters of stuff. Hopefully, List auntie will not
reprimand me after class for saying this.

End of sermon.
*************************

IN HAPPIER NEWS!!

Stacey asked us to write the thoughts we'd had on Mr
Murdoch. I presume she meant Stuart, not Rupert, the
media superemo, who makes money from tat and tit.
I want to know what my reward is if I tell her. :)
I guess he's rather funny looking, actually. He
doesn't look like the average scottish bloke.

************************

Thankyou to Llew for clearing up the mystery of a
cankle. I always just called it a leg.

Cloche sounds like a silly word for an otherwise
attractive hat.

Carb Face and Atkins diets: there is somethin slightly
worrying about any diet in my opinion that encourages
someone to cut out certain foods from their diet.
Malnutrion springs to mind, and as far as I'm
concerned, all food stuffs have a purpose for our
bodies. Beans make you smell; Brocoli is full of
nutrients and such like, and chocolate gives you love.
Hey, you can have two chocolate bars in a night and
nobody thinks you're a slut. And if you have only one
segment from a bar, nobody will call you a prick
tease. Or cocoa tease, for that matter.

My mum has a disease, of the genetic disorder kind. I
should go get myself tested too, to see if I'm going
to have to go through what she is going through. She
has hemochromotosis, if thats the right spelling,
which basically is too much iron in the body. If left
too long, it can kill. Apparently, its the most common
genetic disorder in North America, and very common in
North Europeans. Another aspect of iron, as I
understand from picking up bits of information, is
that it feeds cancer cells. She has to get a pint of
blood taken from her every week, over a period of a
few months to help reduce her iron count. WHich is a
bit icky, and I really don't fancy having it myself. I
find it interesting, that so many commericals in the
UK advertise cereals with having lots of iron in them,
yet too much iron is a bad thing too. The good news is
that green veg isn't very good for her. Chocolate and
coffee is. very good for her. Mmm.

Right. Nothing to do.

love

idles

(your least favourite sinister person, and proud of
it)
xxx

=====