Sinister: Reporting Back

Lucy Alder lucyalder at xxx.com
Thu Apr 17 10:06:28 BST 2003

Yesterday, I was walking down Buchanan Street when a seagull shat on me.
Actually, it was technically a miss.  A bit of splashback landed on the
hem of my trousers and my boot (thank goodness I didn’t opt for open-toe
sandals, eh?)  But it was a really giant dollop.  Actually, it was
technically several smaller dollops.  Rapid fire.  A man was walking
parallel to me, about a foot and a half away.  Wwe exchanged looks when we
realised what might have been.  I detected no small amount of relief in
his eyes.  They say that having a bird crap on you brings good luck.  And
so it was that I spent the evening at the smallest gig B&S have played for
a very, very, very long time.

The ticket said ‘Members of Belle & Sebastian’.  The email had said “THIS
IS NOT A BELLE & SEBASTIAN GIG!”  Stuart told somebody this was because
they might have been sick of each other after so long together.  But as it
happened, all seven of them stepped onto the stage shortly after the
raffle draw (Nal won brute cider!).  You could tell they’d been playing
the songs a lot recently, all singers being in good voice.  “Five new ones
and three covers!” said Stupot.  “No,” argued Stevie, “Six new ones and
two covers”.  In the end, with the crowd baying for more, we got six
newies and three covers.  Here’s what they were (I think):

Step into my office, baby – you might have heard this on the Christmas
Peel session.  Mick shoves his hand up his French horn – woooooaaaargh!

All wrapped up in books – a total newie to me – don’t think it’s been
performed in publick before.  As Ailsa put it, “A proper Belle & Sebastian
song”.  It was a real cracker.  The kind that would put the yellow album
on a more equal footing with the white, red and green if it had replaced
the Clunker.

I can’t remember this one – can somebody fill it in?  I think it’s the one
that sounded a bit like Good Vibrations.

Roy Walker – Also on the Christmas Peel session, I think.  Finger clicks
supplied by audience, if memory serves.

You don’t send me – You might have heard this one before, too.  I think I
might even have seen them do it live.  It totally, totally sounds like
Sunshine Superman by Donovan (take note for your list, Carsmile Steve).

Straight As in Love (Johnny Cash cover) – Stevie was born to do country,
really, wasn’t he?  He had to get Stuart to push his glasses back up his
nose.  Twice.

Lucifer San (Pink Floyd cover) – Cracking work on the glockenspiel from
our man Beans.

I am a cuckoo – I think I was concentrating quite hard on not fainting due
to the heat at this point.

Alone Again Or (Love cover) – more funny faces from Stevie.  He finished
with Richard John Girlanders’ favourite chord!

There, is *that* enough content for you?

Juicy Lucy

=====
The one, the only Glasgow Indie List!
The Winchester Club