Sinister: Mon Dieu, c'est un pique-nique!

Lucy Alder lucyalder at xxx.com
Fri Apr 25 10:00:27 BST 2003

Ah, Sinister.

When the birds start a-twitterin’ and the trees start a-blossomin’ and the
sun starts a-shinin’, you know it’s time for a Sinister Picnic.  And,
seeing as your favourite band will be a-concertin’ too, why not go large
and make it a Big Weekend?

I bumped into Nal on the number 44 last night and we decided that now is
the time to start organising.  She’s going to post to the Bowlie board and
let them know these same details, so with our combined strengths, this one
should be massive, man.  Incidentally, we are hoping for a Sinister vs
Bowlie footie match, so get in training now, lads.  Just cos Sinister’s
own Ronaldo, Ally Cook, will be in attendance, that doesn’t mean he won’t
need back-up from wannabe Zidanes, Figos and Roberto Carloses.

Anyway, here’s the plan:

*Friday 16th May*

The Winchester Club’s first birthday celebrations are the night before the
gig!  Apparently, this has aroused suspicions amongst some cynics that
we’d changed the date to coincide with the Sinister Big Weekend.
Nonsense!  The night was booked back at the beginning of February.  It is
merely luck.  And what great luck!  For, performing for you that night
will be none other than the Dudley Corporation, featuring Joss and Dudley,
sometime of this very parish.  In support, we have Belfast lovelies
Language of Flowers.  And then there’s dancing aplenty as Gav, Sarah,
Carey, Ally and my good self (all sometime of this very parish as well)
spin tunes for your dancing pleasure.  It’s from 9pm-2am, costs a
bargainous £3 to get in and you can find out more on our website here:
http://www.geocities.com/the_winchester_club

*Saturday 17th May*

Yo, Jordan Knight from New Kids on the Block's birthday.  And also picnic
day!  Pack a bag with food and drink* and bring it to Kelvinbridge Station
for 2pm.  Don’t go up the escalator onto the bridge itself – take the exit
that leads onto the car park.  Look out for a huge gang of people sporting
the usual duffel coat/flares/nerdy specs/upside-down badges combo.  Smile
shyly and offer somebody a fag/swig of beer/dolly mixture.  We will then
proceed to a spot in Kelvingrove Park which will be quite close to a pub
called the Tap (on Sauchiehall Street) in case it rains.  Later, we will
proceed/stagger/be carried, unconscious, to the gig.

*Sunday*

RUIN.

Bobby Conn and the Pastels are both playing on Sunday night, so there are
options if you’re feeling a bit less ruinous by eventide.

Right then, there’s your plan.  If you’re of a nervous disposition and
would like my mobile phone number, write me off-list.

Juicy Lucy

*Picnickers, please note: Glasgow’s finest don’t like it when you drink
alkyhol in a public place.  For this reason, we recommend you bring only
weak lemon drink or Ribena.  Ha!  Fooled you!  Actually, we recommend you
pour your vodka into a lemonade bottle or something equally inconspicuous,
or just be very careful.  Having been made to pour away my G&T by Juliet
Bravo at a picnic last summer, I know what I’m talking about, man.

=====
The one, the only Glasgow Indie List!
The Winchester Club
http://www.geocities.com/the_winchester_club