Sinister: praise for songs on Songs of Praise

Retro^Sec retrosec at xxx.uk
Sun Apr 27 21:04:07 BST 2003

I had planned to go and live in New York. In a street
that reminded me of Edinburgh. I wanted to get away
from everything. I didn't want to just travel, I
wanted to live. To pay rent. I found this perfect
flat, but it cost £400 a month. I was only planning to
go for one month, but I hadn'r saved enough money.
Silly girl, I am. If I had, I may have been able to
afford it.

So instead, I walked along Princes Street in
Edinburgh, wishing I was in New York.

*********

I was watching Songs of Praise. Pam Rhodes was sitting
on a bridge, one of those old fashioned bridges that
is very wide, and cobbled. Like somewhere in a grand
European city, the sort of bridge that dates from the
17th century.

She was interviewing George W Bush, and he was talking
about his faith in Christianity. They tried to get a
choir or a brass band to play, so that he could sing
"Onward Christian Solidiers", but as everyone was so
anti-war, they couldn't find anyone to play. It was a
little embarrassing for George, as he sang on his own,
without a band.

And perhaps even more embarrassing, when they decided
to dub over it with songs from Belle and Sebastian's
Storytelling album, in particular "Big John Shaft". It
was amazing to watch it on the telly. Aparently, the
producer of the show is a huge B&S fan.

Afterwards, since it was such a sunny afternoon, I
went to a church, called St Giles. It was apparently
named after him because that was where he took his
last breath, and fell down dead, under an oak tree
that grew next to the steeple. The church was next to
a little river, with a leafy avenue and a cobbled path
leading up to a stone bridge over the river.

I was standing at the bar, in the shade, where the
church was selling alcoholic drinks. Next to me, was
Stuart Murdoch. He was waiting patiently, as I was. On
the other side of me was a brown haired girl. Stuart
was bored, and quietly started to sing "I don't want
to play football" to relieve his boredom from waiting
to be served.

The barman turned to the girl next to me, and thinking
it was her singing, asked if she would join the church
choir. She said yes. Stuart sighed. "Thats the
problem" he said to me, "they all think I sing like a
girl".

********

I went home, and proceeded to write a sinister post
about the Songs of Praise sighting. I wrote the
subject line "Praise for Songs on Songs of Praise".

It seemed rather fitting, when I woke up, to tell you
this.

Love

idleberry

=====