Sinister: riding a bicycle by yourself is fine

terry underwear terryunderwear at xxx.com
Mon Apr 28 08:59:36 BST 2003

hello,

Riding a bike up a hill and then coasting down the other side is one of the most simple yet rewarding things you can do.  All that teeth-gritting hard work, the ache in the back of your legs, the sweat on your forehead, your heart beating hard, then the sheer exhilarition of reaching the top and coasting dowhill, the wind flowing through your hair and whistling in your ears, your heart pumping euphoria and joy into your veins.

My year has been like riding a bike up a hill so far.  It has been shit really, full of people leaving and me being stressed and busy.  Honours has been more intense than I imagined and I have just reached that busy part of semester where you realise that you have a lot of assignments due very soon and they need a fair amount of work still.  I just have to keep working hard and try not to get too down, which I have managed to do thus far.  It has been tempting on occasion to just turn around and roll back down, to rid myself of all the stress and hard work, but I know that reaching this peak is something I have to do.  I'm not building leg muscles, but I'm building character.  Or so my Dad would have me believe.

June 25 is the day I turn 24, and that is about the time I think I am going to reach the top of my hill.  I have no classes after that and can just concentrate on my thesis.  All the testing I have to do for my thesis will be finished, and I'll be doing research for my department and getting paid a very tidy hourly rate.  CD's, books and clothes will be purchased, an interstate trip may be had.  A few of the people who left will be returning, and plans are being made for a Book Club and maybe even a once a month indie night at a club or pub.  And I'll have time to read fiction again!  And there should be a new Belle and Sebastian record, and maybe they'll do a world tour and play in Australia...

I just hope this hill I'm climbing isn't one of those ones that doesn't have a downhill bit on the other side, you know when you find that the hill you just climbed is only the start of a long upwards journey.  If that is the case I'm coasting back down and getting my car.

love terry

PS. OZ/NZ listee's, email me if you want to be involved in an Anzac Tape Tree.  I promise that there won't be any marching.

here's what i think: http://naivetysucceeds.blogspot.com

caitlin and terry's sinister recipe tree archives: http://www.joannou.net/topofthestairs/sinifood/