Sinister: the p[rodigal daughter of twee

Gillian Kirby the_sad_witch at xxx.com
Mon Aug 4 10:50:54 BST 2003

> Hi Sinisteriniinos,
>
> I wrote to the list aaaaages ago, then exams and the
pressures of
unemployment meant I haven't kept up[ with you for a
while. But now I have
this nifty wee temp job that not only attempts to
quell the tide of
nasty letters from the bank (who seem to have
forgottent hat people who
have recently graduated are about as broke as
students, and there's no
way I'll be paying off my overdraft overnoght) but
also means I can surf
about on the internet inbetween typing the odd letter.
Mmmm, slacker
lifestyles. And it's soo much cooler than the library,
because I can make
cups of tea and sit on my own desk rather than being
watched by smelly
old men reading the newspaper (apologies if you are an
old man who
reads the newspaper in the library, I will presume you
are not hygenically
challenged...)

> But I think the main reason why I haven't been
participating much in
Sinisterness is that my life hasn't been at all twee
or indie lately.
It's been the end of the year and finals,m which has
meant giving up my
job on the proviso that it means more time for work
(hah!) but what it
really mean was -gasp-no money whatsoevcer. No more
trips to Smile or
CD buying, not until I get my studenty debts sorted
out anyhow. I could
download music once I sort out access at home (oh,
yeah, I don't have a
CD burner...) but if home taping is killing musioc
then downloading is
probably bludgeoning it to death with a big stick.
Naaah, I'll just
isten to 6music over the web and save up my pennies
for the Hot Hot Heat
album.

> Anyhow, I managed to get my 2:1, don;'t know how but
it happened.
However, in the past few weeks I've been turned down
by many companies,
including telesales...being refused a telesales job
must make me
officially unemployabl;e. So now I can either
prostitute myself to the temp
agencies, become a 'charity mugger' or...live in a
yurt maybe? Not sure
yet. i did see Jeffrey Lewis recently so I'm tryingt o
be al indie and
twee, and I nearly wore a Hello Kitty top to work
today so you can't
banish me from the twee club just yet :-) See  I long
to be an indie
princess liek Idleberry, but I listen to Radio 2 too
much....in nobody's book
is Wogan an indie icon*

> less rambling,
>
> -gillian
>
> ps-if Chris from York is reading..pop me an email!
It's been ages....
> *Jeremy vine though....playing 'Leave the Capiutol
on daytime radio!
Playing smiths songs that weren't even singles
invbetween debating WMD!
Yay!!

=====
"Obscurism:  The Practice of peppering daily life with obscure
references (forgotten films, dead TV stars, unpopular books, defunct countries,
etc.)as a subliminal means of showcasing both one's education and one's wish
to diassociate from the world of mass culture"