Sinister: If your gran had baws she'd be your grandad

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Tue Aug 5 09:50:53 BST 2003

Good Morning Sinipops, here is the news:

>From Billboard.com
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1947663

<<
Scottish rock ensemble Belle & Sebastian will release a new studio album,
"Dear Catastrophe Waitress," Oct. 7 via a recent deal with Rough Trade. The
set was produced by Trevor Horn, best known for his work with such
mainstream pop acts as Seal and Rod Stewart.

Belle & Sebastian, which tours infrequently, will play three U.S. shows
prior to the album's release: Aug. 19 in Brooklyn, N.Y., Aug. 22 in
Berkeley, Calif., and Aug. 24 in Los Angeles. Bright Eyes will support.

"Dear Catastrophe Waitress" is the follow-up to 2000's "Fold Your Hands
Child, You Walk Like a Peasant," which debuted at No. 80 on The Billboard
200 and has sold 113,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Last summer, the group penned the soundtrack for Todd Solondz's film
"Storytelling," which debuted at No. 4 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart.

A DVD, "Fans Only," is tentatively due this fall via the band's former U.S.
label, Matador. It will include music videos, live footage and TV
appearances, among other features.

Here is the track list for "Dear Catastrophe Waitress":

"Step Into My Office, Baby"
"Dear Catastrophe Waitress"
"If She Wants Me"
"Roy Walker"
"(I Believe In) Travellin' Light"
"Asleep on a Sunbeam"
"Piazza, New York Catcher"
"You Don't Send Me"
"Wrapped Up in Books"
"Lord Anthony"
"If Find Yourself Caught in Love"
"I'm a Cuckoo"
"Stay Loose"

LORD ANTHONY!! Oh I am so happy! There was a sniff of a clue that it would
be on the album when Stuart mentioned it in his diary recently. I'm so glad
they're finally releasing it. I wonder if it's the same version they
recorded ages ago..

*the screen wobbles and from Torquay to Timbuktu a thousand people are
transported BACK IN TIME.. woooo!!*

Stuart David speaks: "It'll be done by the end of February. Some song titles
are Marx and Engels, I Fought In A War, Once Upon A Weekend, Wake Her Up,
Landslide and Winter Woofkie."
The album is due in late summer and the preceeding E.P. is likely to
comprise Lonliness Of The Middle-Distance Runner, Paper Boat, and Lord
Anthony."

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/199902/msg00197.html

*the screen wibbles. From Manchester to Marrekesh a thousand people press
Escape uselessly then phone IT support*

So you see, quite apart from Lord Anthony possibly being the best belle and
sebastian song ever, it *might* be the last recording Stuart David ever
played on. I hope so. I always used to imagine Belle and Sebastian as a
brass robot with Stuart Murdoch as its rotating flashing head, Isobel
Campbell as its shiny polished bottom and Stuart David as its spunk. It will
be nice to hear the spunk back in Belle and Sebastian.

I'm looking forward to finally hearing Dear Catastrophe Waitress, too. It's
a shame that Miraculous Techinque isn't anywhere to be seen, but there's
always singles and b-sides and if we're lucky it might get released sometime
in the next four years..

Oh, I'm off to explain to someone else who Walter Mitty is. People should
read more books.

R xxx