Sinister: we may be through with the past...

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Wed Aug 6 04:03:31 BST 2003

Hello everyone.  It's 3am, and you know what means (to some, it might mean i
must be lonely, to others, it means i'm restless and am posting).

First off, I have a minor quibble with the Belle and Sebastian website team.
  How is this information about the new album, tracklisting, release date,
title, and DVD info coming through here second hand?  I've seen nothing
about it on the website, and am tempted not to believe a word of it.  But
it's probably true, so to banchory:  get off your ass!  :)

Secondly, I was just putting up a tent in the living room.  Just as
practice, ya see.  I am listening to a list of 2063 songs, playing on
random.  "String Bean Jean" popped on, and I had to stop for a moment.  This
happens to me quite a bit these days, when an old belle and sebastian song
comes on.  I think back to the times when I was so in love with them and how
they made me feel.  It was so fresh at the time, so exciting.  I wonder how
it is possible to properly rate their new album(s) now.

They are far from my favourite band, I must say.  It's not their own fault I
suppose.  I would probably put the Clash as my favourite band (nobody seems
to even vaguely understand why), and as far as current music goes, I don't
believe anyone touches Wilco. So how the hell do I listen to a new album by
belle and sebastian and make a judgement?  As far as earlier work, the songs
could be utter crap but I still love them.  Hmm...I'm not sure what I really
want to say here.  Let me mull over it a few moments...

Go on, fix yourself a cup of tea or a glass of lemonade.

I haven't figured it out yet, really.  But I'll go on.  I recall feeling
this way when Fold Your Hands came out.  Now I stop and recall a certain
time in my life whenever I hear songs from it, especially "I fought in a
war", just the same as I do with songs off 'sinister'.  I recognize that
songs like "Wandering Alone" and "Big John Shaft" are damn enjoyable songs,
but will they ever feel the same as "Put the Book Back on the Shelf"?

I really loathe the debate on "old" belle and sebastian versus "new".  It's
just not fair I suppose.  So the new album will come out, and I'm sure it'll
be fantastic.  They are, after all, a great band in my opinion.  But perhaps
the truly special music in a person's life needs an incubation period.  Ask
me what I think of the upcoming album in three years, or whenever I move on
to the next phase of my ramshackle life.

This syndrome has really put me off trying to get into new music.  I don't
know how reviewers do it.  I enjoy so many songs and albums that are
released these days, but I can't determine how important they'll be in the
next few years.  Is longevity that important?

What does this all mean?  I don't reckon it means all that much, really.
Just random thoughts I have decided to spew out to the masses.

I suppose the most important thing here is that it is now 4 am, and you know
what?  I'm actually pretty tired.

-Matt