Sinister: Keeping the Dream Alive

Mark Casarotto boyincorduroy at xxx.com
Thu Aug 7 00:20:15 BST 2003

I promised Christine Irene that I would always have a
go at someone who referred to the list or its raison
d'etre as "twee", so Gillian, please consider yourself
told in no uncertain terms that being twee has
*nothing* to do with being Sinister. Tweeness is an
affectation, and a desire to be twee is as bad as 18th
century fops who painted their faces white with little
black hearts drawn on their cheeks, held hankies to
their noses and spoke in high-pitched giggles. Pretty
much GayJay's type, then.

I'm looking forward to the surge, or swell (if you
will) of Sinister posts that always follow the news of
an album release. I too am on the edge of my seat
about Lord Anthony, it being a song which I never
thought I'd hear and which will give the album
immediate credibility, even if the rest of the songs
are of the calibre of Roy Walker. The celebrity, not
the song. Well, the song too.

If my mind doesn't deceive me, Robin's fuzzy-edges
time machine is transporting me back to the 1st
November, 1998, when I heard it for the first time in
the Supper Club in New York. It was the days of a
different Sinister, of Anastasia and Kristen and
Janine, none of whom have posted for years (but by
God, ladies, if you're reading this re-subscribe
immediately!).

But it's not in the past any more. Today, before I
read the digest and the news of the new album, I
sorted out my old, old photos, which I haven't
albumised for over 5 years. And there were my photos
from that trip to NYC, my first ever time in the
States, and pictures of the people, and the band, who
made it so much fun.

There are always links between different times in your
life. These links will make sure I never forget why
Sinister means so much to me. I hope it can mean
something like as much to most of you.

Yours, pompously (I'm in training for the European
All-Pomp Championships),

Mark xxx