Sinister: Tony at the back of the gym

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Mon Aug 18 18:42:03 BST 2003

Tamra told us about Tony:

<<i made a very very poor argument that belle and sebastian are a
"emo-isk" band, and therefore liking them, he had emo in his
blood, and was just in denial about it. so, i started a war.>>

I think you should tell Tony that Belle and Sebastian are an "esk-imo" band.
That'll confuse him.

<<question one.
what french movie that came out in 1975 did some of the lyrics from
"the state i am in" come from. if i am dumb because i do not know this,
so be it. i am dumb. i jokingly used the line "i was happy for a day in
1975" to prove that b&s was "emo." emphasis on jokingly. oh dear. he
quickly trashed my status as a fan of b&s because i did not know this
fact.>>

I don't know the answer to this question. I reckon Tony's having you on. I
asked our friend the reference fox (http://www.fineran.demon.co.uk/basrefs/)
because i figured that if anyone would know then he would, but he didn't. He
has plenty of stuff to baffle this Tony with, though, if you have a look.
Did you know that Sleep the Clock Around is mentioned in The Voyage of the
Dawn Treader by CS Lewis? Or that the crippled friend in The State I Am In
is actually Stanley, the third brother of The Proclaimers, who was beaten up
by the other two when he was caught wearing contact lenses? Or that Elvis in
A Century of Elvis is actually a stick of broccoli? It's all true!*

<<question two.
what is your definition of emo, twee, and or any other hip music category
that you might be able to help me define. all i know is weezer is emo,
b&s is twee, and modest mouse is indie. what is used to define these
placements, and is there a hierarchy?

Belle and Sebastian are not twee, they R!O!C!K! If you need any proof of
this just ask Mr Mark Casarotto if they are twee and he will show you how
much they rock with a bunch of fives.

The other day I went to the Civil Service Sports Day to represent my office
in the three-legged race. It was a hot day and on the way back the car that
I was in began to overheat, so our driver, Pete, decided to call the RAC. By
the time the car had been mended it was getting late and I was worried that
Pete was going to fall asleep at the wheel, so I suggested a singalong.
After singing Downtown, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Bare Necessities and the
complete works of Bonnie Tyler, we began doing a few solos and, naturally, I
got around to Belle and Sebastian. The thing is, after I'd sung a couple it
occurred to me that most belle and sebastian songs are pretty serious stuff,
and not the type of happy fare to cheer up a car of tired sweaty men in
shorts on the lumpy back seat of a ford escort. I thought of all the B+S
songs I know, and what they're about - loneliness, murder, suicide, rape,
bullying, mental illness, war, broken relationships - and decided they
weren't appropriate at all. So we sang The Bare Necessities again.

#
You eat ants!?
You better believe it, and you're gonna love the way they tickle!
The bare necessities of life will come to you..
They'll come to you..
#

My dictionary defines "twee" as a derogatory term: "excessively sentimental,
sweet or pretty".
I wouldn't call Belle and Sebastian twee.

Forcing bands into music types is always a bit of a dud. I think that B+S
would call themselves "indie", but everyone has a different idea of what
indie actually means.

When I think of emo-hop I think of Archel, and rifling through my filing
cabinet marked The Truth the World Cannot Handle I found these wise words of
hers:
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/200204/msg00154.html

If Tony keeps arguing with you we'll come over and beat him up. Bang on the
teeth, he'll be out for a week.

+++

The latest news on the album comes courtesy of a practically illiterate
article from Pitchfork (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/). It sounds like Dear
Catastrophe Waitress will be released on October 7th. More interesting is
the accompanying photograph (ooh!!) of three smiling (catastrophe)
waitresses...

Bye folks, and don't forget to keep your fireworks in a biscuit tin.

R x

*This is a lie.