Sinister: Andy James drives a bus for the lonely

Mark Hester mark.hester at xxx.com
Wed Aug 20 19:05:43 BST 2003

Hi everyone,

At my work we have a Java tool for putting content on our website.  As the web
host is in America and we're in England, it's called Content Across the Sea, or
CATS for short, which has to be the twee-est* name for a piece of software ever.

And the message that comes up while we're waiting for things to work is "Loading
The Tree of Content", which sounds like a Felt album title.

Talking of album titles.....
Dear Catastrophe Waitress.  DICKSWAY, perhaps?

I actually shared a house with a girl who was a Catastrophe Waitress.  Well, she
had waited at tables in restaurants on both sides of the Atlantic, and had her
fair share of mishaps.  In fact, when we were driving along Interstate
whatever-it-was between Houston and Austin, TX she pointed out the restaurant
where she had tripped and sent a huge tray of food catapulting against the wall.
There was still a big stain on the wall to commemorate the event.  I'm not quite
sure what element of Tex Mex cuisine has this staining power - the refried
beans, maybe.

How Does It Feel on Friday was excellent as ever, Shirley and Samanthi from
Spearmint DJd (I've obviously missed something here, Spearmint were an all male
ensemble when I saw them play in Oxford), Ian W was busy with his camera and I
got captured on film yet again, other sinisterines present included Stefano and
Feather Boa and her friend Stuart (no, not *that* Stuart) from the ysm -
apparently Sam Walton (yeah) was unable to make it as he was "too p**sed".
Stefano was able to give me some more details about his gig at the end of the
month, including where it was...the Arts Café is quite close to the Spitz,
apparently.  On the way home we had to cope with the de rigeur approaches from
taxi drivers with their vastly inflated fares.  £30 to travel five miles, I ask
you?

Then on Saturday I went to Bela London's  21st birthday do...she was on sinister
a long time ago and posted exactly twice.  Looky here, there's proof:

http://www.mail-archive.com/sinister@majordomo.net/2000-month-08/msg00258.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/sinister@majordomo.net/2000-month-08/msg00328.html

....though she never did make it to that Oxford picnic, so forewent the
opportunity to feed Build-a-burger to the ducks.

Bela is one half of another b&s related transatlantic married couple...see it's
not just the Appses, although this match came courtesy of - whisper it...the
*other* chatroom.

The evening was notable for us being moved from our table "to make room for the
band", which was a jazz band and we were sufficiently huffy about it to move to
a different bar completely and en route I had the misfortune (or fortune,
depending on which way you look at it) to be groped by an "old" woman whom I
think was part of a hen party who were walking in the opposite direction.  Not
sure about the necessity of my quotes, but she did have white hair.....

GRATE** news about there being another Tigermilking.  Not to be outdone, Oxford
now has its own b&s-related club nite, called ROLLERCOASTER.  I missed the first
one but the second one is this Friday, the 22nd (yay!).  It's at the legendary
Jericho (formerly Jericho Tavern), and someone from my work is helping to run
it.  The only mention of it online I can find is here:

http://www.dailyinformation.co.uk

....and with all these night-time bus trips to London I make these days, it'd be
nice to see some people coming in the *other* direction (hint!).  Look, it only
costs a quid these days (well, sort of):

http://www.megabus.com

...complete with cheery, chubby driver - although I have yet to find out if he
has pink carpet on the sliding door.

Bye for now,
Mark.

For up-to-the-minute music news, reviews and specials visit
http://www.nme.com

Get free e-mail (anyname at nme.com) now at http://www.nmemail.com

The sender of this e-mail is NOT an employee or associate of NME,
nme.com or any other IPC magazine.