Sinister: and besides this there are lots of people complaining about Pete Yorn...

michelle meow_zzz at xxx.com
Thu Aug 21 04:51:27 BST 2003

Good evening sinister,

I've only written once before to say hello and then
ran away too soon, though I read mostly every post!
Really, I do! Now I'm saying hello again, but also
thought I'd share something too:

I just finished reading the latest copy of Magnet(no
not the one that you had to read to keep yourself
occupied as I nursed my hangover into far too late
hours of the afternoon, mmm skyscraper!) and for
anyone who has not had the chance to read it yet,
Belle and Sebastian take home #5 of the top 60 albums
of 1993-2003 for 'If You're Feeling Sinister'. There
is a write up that goes along with it and I thought
I'd share in case anyone was interested in some late
night/ early morning reading. here goes!

" With a wink, a sigh and a bucketful of gallows
humor, these six Glaswegians coaxed a small army of
wilting intellects away from their dogeared copies of
Baudrillard and back into the record stores. If You're
Feeling Sinister was such an epoch-marker that other
pop-culture zeitgeists can be traced directly back to
it: an upswing in Nick Drake album sales, the quiet is
the new loud phenomenon, cardigan sweaters. This was
no small feat for a band that went to great lengths to
shield itself from the public eye, politely shunning
interviews and photo shoots.

 Yet what remains so compelling about Sinister is that
it has none of the cliches that would come to typify
its imitators. Stuart Murdoch's characters are neither
timid nor frail. They're restless and horny and
pissed-off, flipping fingers at the loutish football
hooligans clogging the local pub. Other twee twerps
are all flinches and shivers, but Belle and Sebastian
has nothing but confidence-the kind of big-balled,
brawny braggadocio that comes from knowing, beyond a
shadow of a doubt, that everyone else is beneath you.

Even the tracks that lay bare  Murdoch's sad-angel
voice ("The Fox in the Snow," "The Boy Done Wrong
Again") feel like comforts rather than complaints. The
songs possess an elegance that is almost baroque,
ornamented with stately strings and gilded with
glittering piano. Combined with Murdoch's earthy
humor, Sinister effortlessly manages the same marriage
of cunning and class as Voltaire and Swift. "Nobody
writes 'em like they use to," Murdoch brags regarding
pop songs, "so it may as well be me." And for one full
record, that's exactly what he did." (JEK) Magnet
Sep/Oct 2003 pg.82

If at least one person enjoyed reading this, then
these little hands being all tired now are worth it!
Have a lovely rest of the night wherever you may find
yourself. Me? I'm going to watch "I Am Trying to Break
Your Heart" for the 700th time. It's like a sickness
really.

michelle

"My mind is filled with silvery stuff
Honey kisses, clouds of fluff