Sinister: 'stay loose' song review, ft. "mozzeresque revenge fantasies"

Kevin Hyde kmhyde at xxx.edu
Thu Aug 21 14:36:49 BST 2003

Hi sinisterines and -ettes,

This was on Pitchfork today:

Belle & Sebastian: "Stay Loose"
So whoulda thought it, but Belle & Sebastian have gone and made one of
the most offbeat, punchdrunk pop records so far this year-- one that
bears little resemblence to the literate wallflower wish fulfillment and
Mozzeresque revenge fantasies they've established as a signature. On
early inspection, the band has chucked its recent fascination with
Northern Soul pastiche in favor of a delicate mix of craft (six years
ago, who'd have thought that word would used to describe Belle &
Sebastian?) and quirk. The result is in parts reminiscent of 10cc's
irreverent pop, post-Bubblegum 70s soft rock, and the eclecticism of
Andrew Loog Oldham's Immediate label.
The assured hand of producer Trevor Horn must have helped. His dexterity
is felt strongest on the near seven-minute album closer "Stay Loose", in
which B&S take a dreadlock holiday through the echo chamber, have a
conversation with a helpful cornflake, and skip through musical styles
like a Scottish Super Furry Animals. It's either genius or madness but
after years of mostly missteps, I'm once again slowly leaning to the
former. -- Scott Plagenhoef

I'm sure some of you have probably already seen it, but I figured there
also *must* be people who don't read that website every day.

Anyway. That's it for now. I'll be slinging hot dogs tomorrow if anyone
asks. Oooh yeah

Kevin